What courses do I need for a Ph.D. in theoretical physics?

You'll likely need to complete some general education courses and calculus before starting your physics degree.In summary, the person is unable to go to college after high school, but has a passion for physics and wants to pursue it online due to having a 5-month-old child. They are seeking advice on what courses to take and what degree to start with. It is recommended to get a bachelor's degree in physics, but it is difficult to do it entirely online. They can start with online classes and then transfer to a local university for their degree. It is also suggested to talk to an advisor for more guidance.
LKearce
Due to circumstances outside of my control, I couldn't go to college after high school. Physics is my passion however and I refuse to give up. I have a 5 month old so it would be in my best interest to start my schooling online. I'm only the 2nd person in my family to go to college. So, I don't know what courses I would need to take or exactly what degree I need to start off with. Can anyone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, you'd definitely need a bachelor's degree in physics. There have been some posts discussing online methods to get a physics degree, but the end conclusion is that although you might be able to "technically" receive a bachelor's degree entirely online, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who did their degree entirely online and then was able to be admitted into graduate school.

However, you could definitely begin taking classes online and then transfer to a local university for your degree in-person (at whatever pace you need, even 1 class a semester is better than 0). Physics generally requires a couple semesters of calculus and "general physics", and depending on the university, you may need to take some general education courses. A lot of these can be done online through that university, or another nearby one. You might want to talk to an advisor at either a university or a nearby community college. TL;DR- It's totally possible for you to begin pursuing a physics degree online, but you'll need to go to a brick-and-mortar university at some point.

Related to What courses do I need for a Ph.D. in theoretical physics?

1. What is a Ph.D. in theoretical physics?

A Ph.D. in theoretical physics is a postgraduate degree that focuses on the theoretical study of the fundamental principles of physics. It involves advanced coursework and research in areas such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

2. What courses do I need to take for a Ph.D. in theoretical physics?

The specific courses required for a Ph.D. in theoretical physics may vary depending on the university and program, but typically include advanced courses in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics. Additionally, students may also take courses in topics such as astrophysics, cosmology, and mathematical methods in physics.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area of theoretical physics?

Yes, many Ph.D. programs in theoretical physics allow students to specialize in a particular area of interest, such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, or cosmology. It is important to research and choose a program that aligns with your research interests.

4. What are the prerequisites for a Ph.D. in theoretical physics?

Most Ph.D. programs in theoretical physics require applicants to have a strong background in mathematics and physics. This typically includes coursework in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and upper-level physics courses. Some programs may also require applicants to have research experience.

5. How long does it take to complete a Ph.D. in theoretical physics?

The length of time to complete a Ph.D. in theoretical physics can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years. This includes 2-3 years of coursework and 2-3 years of research and dissertation writing. The exact timeline may also depend on the individual student's progress and research project.