What condition defines a principal stress?

In summary, principal stresses are defined as normal stresses in a given stress state. In a thin plate with a tensile stress applied, the principal stresses would be normal to the sides. In a beam with a rectangular cross section in pure bending, the principal stresses are equal to the bending stresses and are tensile and compressive on the top and bottom surface. For other cases, such as I beams, Mohr's Circle is used to calculate principal and shear stresses.
buxZED
What condition defines a principal stress?

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Since I'm studying Engineering I should probably be able to explain this to you in my own words, but this site does a good job of it:
http://www.efunda.com/formulae/solid_mechanics/mat_mechanics/plane_stress_principal.cfm

If you consider a given stress state, principal stresses are defined as stresses that are normal stresses only. So take the easy case of a thin plate, and apply a tensile stress to one end (i.e. try to stretch it). In that case, the principal stresses would be normal to the sides of the plate. If you had a beam with a rectangular cross section in pure bending, the principal stresses would just be equal to the bending stresses, and are tensile and compressive stresses on the top and bottom surface of the beam, assuming you've got a point force (for example) P acting normal to the bottom surface (in the positive direction, bending the beam into an upside down U). Things like I beams are a little different, and in that case you use Mohr's Circle to calculat principal stresses and shear stresses; the website covers that in a good amount of detail.

If I've missed anything or explained anything ambiguously, someone let me know and I'll try to do a better job of it. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
this covers the confution I had, thank you verry much

Loki1342 said:
Since I'm studying Engineering I should probably be able to explain this to you in my own words, but this site does a good job of it:
http://www.efunda.com/formulae/solid_mechanics/mat_mechanics/plane_stress_principal.cfm

If you consider a given stress state, principal stresses are defined as stresses that are normal stresses only. So take the easy case of a thin plate, and apply a tensile stress to one end (i.e. try to stretch it). In that case, the principal stresses would be normal to the sides of the plate. If you had a beam with a rectangular cross section in pure bending, the principal stresses would just be equal to the bending stresses, and are tensile and compressive stresses on the top and bottom surface of the beam, assuming you've got a point force (for example) P acting normal to the bottom surface (in the positive direction, bending the beam into an upside down U). Things like I beams are a little different, and in that case you use Mohr's Circle to calculat principal stresses and shear stresses; the website covers that in a good amount of detail.

If I've missed anything or explained anything ambiguously, someone let me know and I'll try to do a better job of it. :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What condition defines a principal stress?

What is the definition of principal stress?

Principal stress is a type of stress that occurs in a material at a specific point and is oriented along the direction of a principal axis. It is a measure of the maximum stress that a material experiences at that point.

How is principal stress different from other types of stress?

Principal stress is different from other types of stress, such as normal stress and shear stress, because it takes into account the direction of the stress relative to the material's principal axes. This allows for a more accurate analysis of the stress state at a given point.

What is the significance of principal stress in materials science?

Principal stress is significant in materials science because it helps engineers and scientists understand how materials respond to external forces. It can also be used to determine the failure points of a material, allowing for the design of more robust and durable structures.

How is principal stress calculated?

Principal stress can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the normal stress components, shear stress components, and the orientation of the principal axes. These equations are typically solved using computer software or specialized calculators.

Can principal stress be measured experimentally?

Yes, principal stress can be measured experimentally using techniques such as strain gauges, which can measure the deformation of a material in response to applied forces. These measurements can then be used to calculate the principal stress at a specific point.