What Color Hat Am I Wearing If Everyone Stood Up?

• Thread starter Physics-Learner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color
In summary, a red hat is worn by one of the players in this game. If the other two players do not figure out which one of them has the red hat quickly, they are executed.
Physics-Learner
i hope this wasnt already asked. i couldn't find it anywhere.

you and 2 others are placed in a room with blindfolds. a hat is placed on each of you. it is either red or black. the blindfolds are then removed. you are told to stand if you see a red hat. everybody stands, while obeying the command. you see 2 red hats. what color hat do you have on ? if you are correct, you run to become the new king. if you are incorrect, you are promptly executed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea.

Now, if I knew the other two people are also given this choice, want to be in the running to be king, and have a decent reasoning capability, I'd have a better idea... :wink:

hi hurky,

thanks for not giving away the answer so soon. gosh i just posted it a couple minutes ago. you guys are too smart.

Well, this is one of the classics -- a lot of us have seen it before.

And we have a convention over here: we write our answers in white (technically, color #black), so that you cannot see the answer we give unless you hightlight it with the mouse.

i noticed a few answers were in white, and i was having a hard time reading them. that's cool.

these were 3 puzzles that i liked - in the past few years.

i was jumping up and down when i got the marble one, because it took me a long time to get it. but i did so with no clues whatsoever, so it was very satisfying for me when i did finally come up with it. you can go thru quite a few gyrations, before you stumble onto the answer. and i have to admit - i would call it stumbling, in my case. i felt sort of lucky to have gotten it.

the cannibal one took me about an hour or so. the hat one is really less involved. it is solvable in a minute, if you happen to be thinking correctly - in it is really just one thought that you need.

the marbles and cannibals involve several steps.

this puzzle has been posted , a few times ... its always fun to do though .

Dont you have a red hat too?

Physics-Learner said:
i hope this wasnt already asked. i couldn't find it anywhere.

you and 2 others are placed in a room with blindfolds. a hat is placed on each of you. it is either red or black. the blindfolds are then removed. you are told to stand if you see a red hat. everybody stands, while obeying the command. you see 2 red hats. what color hat do you have on ? if you are correct, you run to become the new king. if you are incorrect, you are promptly executed.
So what's the answer? Can't I wait and see if any of them are executed first? I hope the room isn't lit by a red light bulb.

hi mk,

no, it is not a silly answer. it takes a little thinking "outside of the box", but it is very answerable, with just the information given.

>[COLOR="#black"]Assuming the other 2 aren't idiots, you have a red hat. If they don't figure their's out quickly.

First assume you have a black hat, if you have a black hat then the other two would only see the red hat on each other's head. Knowing that each other can't see their own, they realize they themselves must have a red hat.

Since neither person quickly realized his color it means that you must have a red hat as well, else they'd know theirs and had said it already.[/COLOR]

I explained that badly I think, it'd be a bummer if they were idiots.

hi ge,

yes, that is the correct answer, if i am following you correctly.

Told you I explained it badly :-).

Related to What Color Hat Am I Wearing If Everyone Stood Up?

1. What is the significance of the color of your hat?

The color of my hat does not have any specific significance. It is simply a personal preference or a part of my outfit.

2. Does the color of your hat affect your mood or behavior?

No, the color of my hat does not have any impact on my mood or behavior. These factors are influenced by a variety of other factors such as my surroundings, emotions, and personal experiences.

3. Can the color of your hat reveal your personality?

While the color of someone's hat may give a slight indication of their personal style, it is not a reliable indicator of someone's personality. Personality is a complex combination of various traits and cannot be determined by just one aspect such as the color of a hat.

4. What does the color of your hat say about your job or profession?

In some professions, specific hat colors may be part of a uniform or dress code, but this is not true for all jobs. The color of my hat is not directly related to my job or profession.

5. Can the color of your hat affect how others perceive you?

The color of my hat may influence how others perceive me to a certain extent, but it is not the only factor that shapes people's opinions. Other factors such as body language, communication, and actions also play a significant role in how others perceive me.