What Causes the Strange Sound When Magnets Are Used with Headphones and a Disc?

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment involving headphones, a copper disc, and a magnet. The person placed a magnet under the disc and noticed a strange sound when current flows with the magnet present, similar to squeezing ice. The conversation also mentioned using a homopolar motor and headphones to detect eddy currents in the disc, and the possibility of interference or static being converted into sound by the headphones. The use of a microphone to convert sound to electric signals was also brought up. The conversation concluded with a request for a photo or sketch of the setup and a suggestion to read about eddy currents.
Samson4
I did a little experiment the other day. It involved connecting headphones to a copper disc and a battery. Then I placed a magnet under the disc. When current flows with the magnet present I get this strange sound similar to squeezing ice. What am I hearing? I don't believe it to be the electrical contacts.

Think of a homopolar motor with the disc held stationary and headphones connected in series.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a fun question. Moving the magnet will cause eddy currents in the disc which might be detected by the pickup. Other than that, I have no idea.

Likes Samson4
anorlunda said:
That's a fun question. Moving the magnet will cause eddy currents in the disc which might be detected by the pickup. Other than that, I have no idea.

Do you think its possible that its the sound of electrons squeezing past impurities of the conductor? Or maybe the sound of electrons interacting with a magnetic field.

No. Headphones don't react to sounds, they respond to electric signals in the wires. Headphones convert those electric signals to sound.

A microphone converts sound to electric signals, but you don't have one.

Likes Samson4
anorlunda said:
No. Headphones don't react to sounds, they respond to electric signals in the wires. Headphones convert those electric signals to sound.

I'd have to imagine that the transduction would work both ways, in both devices, to at least some extent.

Likes Samson4
Samson4 said:
I did a little experiment the other day. It involved connecting headphones to a copper disc and a battery. Then I placed a magnet under the disc. When current flows with the magnet present I get this strange sound similar to squeezing ice. What am I hearing? I don't believe it to be the electrical contacts.

Think of a homopolar motor with the disc held stationary and headphones connected in series.
Can you post a picture or sketch of how you are setting this up? Thanks.

Likes Samson4
There is a similar experiment done by connecting a transformer winding to the input of a hi fi amplifier and bringing a magnet close to the core of the transformer. You can hear clicks as the magnetic boundaries pass over each other.

Likes Samson4
berkeman said:
Can you post a picture or sketch of how you are setting this up? Thanks.
Ill post a picture after work.

arydberg said:
There is a similar experiment done by connecting a transformer winding to the input of a hi fi amplifier and bringing a magnet close to the core of the transformer. You can hear clicks as the magnetic boundaries pass over each other.
Yes, but the magnet is stationary. It is sitting under the copper disk.

anorlunda said:

Im suggesting the electrons are carrying some type of noise into the signal.

Samson4 said:
Im suggesting the electrons are carrying some type of noise into the signal.

That's wrong thinking. If the electrons made sound, you could hear it with a doctor's stethoscope, not electronic headphones.

Don't forget that a magnet rubbing a disc is metal rubbing on metal, that makes a scrape noise even if there is no magnet.

anorlunda said:
That's wrong thinking. If the electrons made sound, you could hear it with a doctor's stethoscope, not electronic headphones.

Don't forget that a magnet rubbing a disc is metal rubbing on metal, that makes a scrape noise even if there is no magnet.

I don't think I am explaining it well. When I say noise I don't mean something that can be heard. I mean interference or static that is converted into sound by the headphones. Again, I am not sure why this is happening. But, I do want to articulate my theory so that if I am wrong, I can understand why.

Samson4 said:
I don't think I am explaining it well. When I say noise I don't mean something that can be heard. I mean interference or static that is converted into sound by the headphones. Again, I am not sure why this is happening. But, I do want to articulate my theory so that if I am wrong, I can understand why.

That's better. Then I return to my answer from post #2.

anorlunda said:
Moving the magnet will cause eddy currents in the disc which might be detected by the pickup.

What you called "interference or static", I called "eddy currents". For an explanation, read this article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current

Samson4 said:

This sound like breathing or clicking is when the domains of the magnet are being aligned by the applied field. It is only heard when the field is changing.

Samson4 said:

again so we could all understand what you are doing ... a photo or two would help lots, else we are all just guessing

This is how I set it up. This time, I didnt get the effect without holding the wire. So I will charge the batteries and try again tomorrow.

The very first time I did it I used more than 1 disc. They were disc cut out of aluminium foil and stacked where the current flows out of the center of 1 disc and into the center of another. The set up in the picture is what I used a few days ago.
20170526_220325.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Causes the Strange Sound When Magnets Are Used with Headphones and a Disc?

1. How does a magnet affect headphones?

A magnet can affect headphones by creating a magnetic field that can interfere with the electrical signals in the headphones, causing distortion or disruptions in sound quality.

2. Can a magnet damage headphones?

Yes, a strong magnet can damage headphones by permanently magnetizing the metal components inside, which can disrupt the electrical signals and affect sound quality.

3. Why do headphones have magnets?

Headphones have magnets because they are an essential part of the speaker mechanism. The magnets help create a magnetic field that interacts with the voice coil, causing it to vibrate and produce sound.

4. How do headphones use magnets to produce sound?

Headphones use magnets to produce sound by using the principle of electromagnetism. The magnets create a magnetic field that interacts with the electrical signals from the audio source, causing the voice coil to vibrate and produce sound waves that we can hear.

5. Can headphones be demagnetized?

Yes, headphones can be demagnetized by using a demagnetizer tool. This tool uses an alternating magnetic field to neutralize the permanent magnetic field in the headphones, restoring them to their original state.