Noise Canceling Headphones Problem

In summary, the person is experiencing loud "electric" noises from their headphones in certain conditions, such as being near an iPad or on a train. They have identified that it may be caused by magnetic interference and have questions about why it is happening, how to prevent it, and if it is damaging their hearing.
BraedenP
Hey,

I figured you physics geniuses might have an idea regarding what's happening to my headphones:

When under certain conditions (some of which I've nailed down, but others I can't figure out) the headphones will start making insanely loud "electric" noises that resemble the "zzzz" sound you'd hear coming from a Van de Graff generator.

Some conditions:

Firstly, this only happens when I am near my iPad (especially when the bulk of the headphone cord is near the iPad's back).

Secondly, it only happens when I have noise canceling enabled; if I turn it off while it's making the sparking noises, they stop.

Lastly, it happens ALL THE TIME when I am on the train and go past certain spots underground. It will also happen in random places around my University campus (usually when going past laboratories) and also in my basement at home.

I'm guessing it has something to do with magnetic interference from something (when the train starts moving and gets a jolt of electricity, they always act up) and when the train goes past power poles it usually does it, too.

Now I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know why it would be doing this?
2. Is there a way to prevent this (short of buying new headphones)
3. If I can't fix it, is this damaging my hearing?

I'm very curious about this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical noise is getting into your headphone set, prior to the amplifier stage, which is then amplifying that noise. I've had video noise issues if I have a cell phone near a computer with an open case, and my wife's car can get noise over the car speakers from a cell phone doing some sort of cycle with the towers, but with the radio off, making me wonder if the amplifier stage is always on (or else antenna and harmonic effects are signicant in her car).

Related to Noise Canceling Headphones Problem

1. What is the purpose of noise canceling headphones?

Noise canceling headphones are designed to reduce ambient noise by using active noise control technology. This technology generates an anti-noise signal that cancels out external sounds, allowing the user to hear their audio content more clearly without having to increase the volume.

2. How do noise canceling headphones work?

Noise canceling headphones use microphones to pick up ambient noise and then produce an inverted sound wave to cancel out the external noise. This process is known as active noise control and is effective in reducing low-frequency sounds such as the hum of an airplane engine or the noise of a busy street.

3. Do noise canceling headphones completely block out all external noise?

No, noise canceling headphones are not able to completely block out all external noise. They are most effective at canceling out low-frequency sounds, but may not be as effective with high-frequency sounds. Additionally, sudden or sharp noises may still be audible with noise canceling headphones.

4. Can noise canceling headphones cause any health problems?

Noise canceling headphones are generally safe to use and do not cause any health problems. However, some people may experience discomfort or headaches when using them for extended periods of time. It is important to take breaks and adjust the volume to a comfortable level when using noise canceling headphones.

5. Are noise canceling headphones worth the extra cost?

This depends on personal preference and usage. If you frequently find yourself in noisy environments where you need to focus or listen to audio, then noise canceling headphones may be worth the extra cost. However, if you primarily use headphones in quiet environments, then the added cost may not be necessary.