What Causes the Sensation of Weightlessness on a Ferris Wheel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind the feeling of weightlessness and stomach dropping sensation on a Ferris wheel ride. The combination of gravity and acceleration at the top of the ride creates a brief experience of freefall. This is due to the circular path of the Ferris wheel resembling a parabola, which is the path of free fall. The reduction of gravity on internal organs causes the strange feeling in the stomach. The mathematics involved include simple harmonic motion and the equation for vertical acceleration.
physics kiddy
Hello,

I love rides but the one that thrills me is Ferris Wheel. Today, while I was enjoying the ride, I noticed something that's really interesting. When I reach the top and fall rapidly, it seems as if I am loosing gravity and also something unexplainable happens in the abdomen. Please explain why ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, sounds like your Ferris wheel goes a little faster than those around my parts...

According to GR, gravity and acceleration are equivalent forces. When you reach the apex of the ferris wheel, your velocity changes from a (generally, its technically angular, but I'm trying to keep it simple) upward velocity to a downward velocity. This velocity change(aka acceleration), which I don't know the exact numbers on in your scenario, in combination with the constant acceleration you feel from gravity, cancel or come close to cancelling and give a brief experience of weightlessness/freefall.
The feeling in your stomach is a common reaction. Try a roller coaster.

Last edited:
Why does stomach get such a strange feeling ? Is it due to some hormone secretion or because of being scared ??

Your stomach gets that feeling because the reduced (felt) force of gravity literally makes your guts move up.

1mmorta1 said:
Wow, sounds like your Ferris wheel goes a little faster than those around my parts...

According to GR, gravity and acceleration are equivalent forces. When you reach the apex of the ferris wheel, your velocity changes from a (generally, its technically angular, but I'm trying to keep it simple) upward velocity to a downward velocity. This velocity change(aka acceleration), which I don't know the exact numbers on in your scenario, in combination with the constant acceleration you feel from gravity, cancel or come close to cancelling and give a brief experience of weightlessness/freefall.
The feeling in your stomach is a common reaction. Try a roller coaster.

Please use mathematics and explain how they both cancel each other.

Cancel is a poor word choice that I suppose I shouldn't have used. Are you suggesting that you don't understand the concept but would understand the mathematics? Is this your homework?

No, that's not my homework. I want to know what actually happens there. And I believe Mathematics is the best tool of Physics. That's why I asked you to use a bit mathematics... thnx

The circular path at the top of the ferris wheel approximates the path of a peak of a parabola, which is the path of free fall. In the case the ferris wheel, it's not moving fast enough to be in full free fall, but in this case, the downwards acceleration is enough that you can sense that the force of gravity on your internal organs is reduced due to the downwards acceleration.

What math do you want to see? Your vertical acceleration is just radius times the cosine of the angular acceleration. Its simple harmonic motion.

Thanks. I got it

Related to What Causes the Sensation of Weightlessness on a Ferris Wheel?

What is the Physics behind the Ferris Wheel?

The Ferris Wheel operates on the principles of circular motion and centripetal force. As the wheel rotates, the passengers experience a constant change in direction, resulting in a centripetal force that keeps them moving in a circular path.

How does the Ferris Wheel stay balanced?

The Ferris Wheel is designed with a balanced center of mass, which allows it to rotate smoothly without tipping over. The weight of the passengers and the wheel itself is evenly distributed around the central axis, ensuring balance and stability.

What affects the speed of a Ferris Wheel?

The speed of a Ferris Wheel is determined by its radius and the time it takes to complete one full rotation. The larger the radius, the slower the speed, and vice versa. The speed can also be controlled by the operator, who can adjust the rotation time.

What is the role of gravity in the operation of a Ferris Wheel?

Gravity is responsible for pulling the passengers towards the center of the wheel, creating the necessary centripetal force for circular motion. Without gravity, the Ferris Wheel would not be able to rotate and would simply stay in a stationary position.

Are there safety considerations in the design of a Ferris Wheel?

Yes, safety is a crucial aspect of Ferris Wheel design. Factors such as wind resistance, structural integrity, and emergency braking systems are taken into account to ensure the safety of passengers. Regular inspections and maintenance are also important for safe operation.