Circular Motion Forces Exerted On Ferris Wheel

In summary, a man of 80.0 kg standing in a Ferris wheel cabin of radius 30.0 m rotating at 1.0 rpm will experience normal and gravitational forces at the highest and lowest points. The force of the man's feet on the cabin will equal the normal force, which can be solved for using Newton's Second Law.
cal.queen92

Homework Statement

A man of 80.0 kg is standing in the cabin of a Ferris wheel of radius 30.0 m rotating at 1.0 rpm. What are the forces that the feet of the man exert on the floor of the cabin when he reaches the highest point and the lowest point?

Homework Equations

Newton's Second law

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by drawing a free body diagram of the situation with the ferris wheel cabin at both the top and bottom of the ferris wheel, Where two forces act on each: Normal force & gravitational force (mass*gravity).

I know that when the cabin is at the top, the centripetal acceleration is pointing downwards and when the cabin is at the bottom of the ferris wheel, the centripetal acceleration is pointing upwards.

Now, I'm not sure what the force of the man feet on the cabin would be, I can only guess it would be the gravitational force, in which case I use Newton's second law to solve for this force. But this does not seem correct;

----- is the weight equal to the force of the mans feet exerted on the cabin? ----

Physics news on Phys.org
The force of the man's feet on the cabin will equal the normal force. Solve for the normal force using Newton's 2nd law.

Thank you!

1. What is circular motion and how is it related to a ferris wheel?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. A ferris wheel is an example of circular motion, as the riders move along a circular path as the wheel rotates.

2. What are the forces exerted on a person riding a ferris wheel?

There are two main forces exerted on a person riding a ferris wheel: centripetal force and gravitational force. The centripetal force keeps the rider moving in a circular path, while the gravitational force pulls the rider towards the center of the wheel.

3. How does the speed of the ferris wheel affect the forces exerted on a rider?

The speed of the ferris wheel affects the centripetal force exerted on a rider. As the speed increases, the centripetal force also increases, making the ride feel faster and more intense. However, the gravitational force remains constant regardless of the speed.

4. What is the role of the ferris wheel's design in the forces exerted on riders?

The design of a ferris wheel, specifically the radius and speed of rotation, plays a crucial role in the forces exerted on riders. A larger radius or faster speed will result in greater centripetal force, while a smaller radius or slower speed will result in less centripetal force.

5. How do the forces exerted on a rider change as the ferris wheel rotates?

As the ferris wheel rotates, the forces exerted on a rider remain constant in magnitude but change in direction. At the top of the wheel, the centripetal force is directed downwards, while at the bottom it is directed upwards. The gravitational force, however, is always directed towards the center of the wheel.