What Can You Do to Help Pets Affected by Natural Disasters?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tornado
In summary, the five-minute SPCA commercial ruins the song for many people. The fate of these animals is real, and people do what they can to help.
Physics news on Phys.org

I've gotten to where I turn the channel when the five-minute SPCA commercial comes on. I used to like the song they use but now they've ruined it for me.

Tsu and I have already paid more than our fair share for animals.

It breaks my heart too and I have to change the channel. Unfortunately the fate of these animals is real. I donate money whenever I can.

Evo said:
It breaks my heart too and I have to change the channel. Unfortunately the fate of these animals is real. I donate money whenever I can.

Too much of a broken heart can break yours worse, Evo, a number of years ago, I volunteered at a animal shelter, a good one, and after two years and losing one of my favorite dogs to stupid human error (2 failed adoptions) (and a bit of lying on the adoptee's part, and naive behavior on shelter staff's part) (and catching a glimpse of my dog in the incinerator) I couldn't take it anymore. I still love animals and do what I can, but it takes a toll on you, which I experienced, first hand.

Rhody... :cry:

rhody said:
Too much of a broken heart can break yours worse, Evo, a number of years ago, I volunteered at a animal shelter, a good one, and after two years and losing one of my favorite dogs to stupid human error (2 failed adoptions) (and a bit of lying on the adoptee's part, and naive behavior on shelter staff's part) (and catching a glimpse of my dog in the incinerator) I couldn't take it anymore. I still love animals and do what I can, but it takes a toll on you, which I experienced, first hand.

:cry: :cry:

We used to take in strays, and we still do (fortunately we don't get too many).

One family claimed our second cat after 1 week. They brought him back a few days later because he was too wild! Something was definitely wrong with that family, because he turned out to be the most affectionate cat we've ever had. We named him Spencer.

We found another cat (Sidney) who was like a Persian. He had a grey coat, blue eyes, and a very sweet disposition. The owner did reclaim him, but unfortunately, she let him out a few weeks later and he got run over.

We did succeed in finding a home for one of our strays with the son of our vet. The cat's name was Hamilton, and he used to put his front paws on a hand towel and hop across the vinyl floor in the kitchen pushing the towel ahead of him.

We help animals whenever possible.

You may have read before that I worked at a nature center for 17 years. The staff, other organizations, birders and pet walkers (one girl walked her lizard) made a community of concerned people.

Folks like they, once educated, could establish a fund drive (please, I'm not trying to pass the buck or be simplistic). My county has several animal-conscious private and public services to support.

Also for me, I research the more efficient national charities to donate to and hope that they are responsible with my charity. If humans are helped, maybe animals will be in turn.

That is a nice looking dog!

rhody said:

Thanks for that image Rhody. Guess we must have needed that. Things in ovens freak me out too.
The human race as a whole with the exception of a few do NOT know how to take care of things very well.

Not meaning some of the photos that I've seen from Wolram or Borek of parts of the world that are so tidy. I only hope even thoes pictures don't hide some horrid abuse of live.
Sorry about this ramble but that's what I do and your post was very emotional. I thought I would join in. I would take a resuce animal but family members herre can not be around fur animals. If the tornado left aquatic creatures orphaned let us know.

My girlfriend reports that she saw on ABC(?) Evening News tonight a "pet-a-thon" in Missouri, maybe the one which Evo linked. Nationwide exposure!

Loren Booda said:
My girlfriend reports that she saw on ABC(?) Evening News tonight a "pet-a-thon" in Missouri, maybe the one which Evo linked. Nationwide exposure!
Wonderful! The shelter is overwhelmed, they need to find these animals homes. The animals have been through enough trauma.

I just met a person who is a foster pet care taker that had one of the dogs rescued from the Joplin tornado crisis.

She said after the adoption day I mentioned, all animals that weren't adopted were put down immediately. kittens, puppies, bunnies, hamsters...

RIP sweet babies.

What is the number of cats euthanized in the U.S. every year? 20,000,000? Most of that is needless death, potentially avoided by commonsense spaying and neutering.

Evo said:
My wife and I give regularly, though we give to our local ASPCA shelter specifically and not to the organization as a whole because we don't know how to evaluate them. Also, we give donations of detergents, disinfectants, as well as food, treats, etc. It was on such a run that my wife met Duke and persuaded me that we REALLY needed a dog. I'm very glad that happened! My wife is the light of my life, and Duke makes life tolerable when she is away at work or taking care of her mother.

Can you take in a rescue-shelter pet? If so, you might allow the shelter to take in another animal from a disaster area, and give them a shot at a good life. Just sayin'...

Loren Booda said:
What is the number of cats euthanized in the U.S. every year? 20,000,000? Most of that is needless death, potentially avoided by commonsense spaying and neutering.

This. People need to realize that it is the right thing to do.

The animals put down were pets that became homeless due to the tornado. They weren't strays. They were neutered and spayed and had their shots.

They managed to survive a tornado only to be put to death at a shelter where they were taken for protection. It's very sad.

That really is sad :frown: you would have hoped they could have been spread around the country to different rescue shelters until nice homes could be found.

ryan_m_b said:
That really is sad :frown: you would have hoped they could have been spread around the country to different rescue shelters until nice homes could be found.
Due to the economic collapse, job-losses, etc, many shelters are full to capacity. Duke was picked up as a stray in the Pittsfield area and had spent months in the shelter before we met and adopted him. Several mills had closed in that area, and I expect that his owner(s) had to move to find jobs and couldn't find an apartment that would allow pets.

Some Maine shelters have tried to make room for pets from disaster areas, but it's tough when economic times and job prospects are so tough. The local ASPCA will gladly waive the $150 surrender fee if you have to give up your dog due to economic hardship, just to get the dog into safe custody, with vet care, neutering, etc.

Like I said before, my wife and I contribute directly to the local ASPCA shelter, both in money and supplies. We have been dunned repeatedly by the national agency, but we are reluctant to give money to groups that spend a lot of it on TV ads.

Related to What Can You Do to Help Pets Affected by Natural Disasters?

1. What is the meaning of "Tornado pets all put down"?

"Tornado pets all put down" refers to the unfortunate event of pets being euthanized due to a natural disaster, such as a tornado. This is often done as a last resort when there is no other way to ensure the safety and welfare of the animals.

2. Why are pets put down during a tornado?

Pets are put down during a tornado for their own safety and the safety of others. When a tornado strikes, it can cause extensive damage to buildings and homes, making it difficult for pets to find shelter. In addition, the chaos and confusion during a tornado can also make it dangerous for pets to be roaming around, potentially causing harm to themselves or others.

3. Who makes the decision to put down pets during a tornado?

The decision to put down pets during a tornado is typically made by the local animal control or emergency management agencies. These agencies are responsible for ensuring the safety and welfare of both humans and animals during natural disasters.

4. Are there any alternatives to putting down pets during a tornado?

In some cases, there may be alternatives to putting down pets during a tornado. For example, if there is enough time and resources, pets could be evacuated to a safe location before the tornado hits. However, this is not always possible and may depend on the severity and timing of the tornado.

5. How can I help prevent pets from being put down during a tornado?

The best way to prevent pets from being put down during a tornado is to be prepared. Make sure you have a plan in place for your pets in case of a natural disaster, such as having a designated safe area in your home or knowing where to evacuate to. Additionally, you can support local animal shelters and organizations that work to rescue and care for animals during emergencies.

Back