What breaks time reversal symmetry in ferromagnets

In summary, ferromagnets exhibit time reversal symmetry breaking through spontaneous symmetry breaking, where the ground states of the Hamiltonian are not symmetric under time reversal transformations. This is similar to rotational symmetry breaking in ferromagnets, where the ground states show a preferred spin orientation. These spontaneously broken symmetries cannot be represented as operators in a Hilbert space, and different ground states belong to different superselection sectors. This means that in the thermodynamic limit, it is not possible to transition between these states through spin flips. Additionally, antiferromagnets also break time reversal symmetry due to the combination of translation and time reversal being preserved.
taishizhiqiu
I am told that in ferromagnets, time reversal symmetry is broken. However, I don't know any hamiltonian terms in solid that can break time reversal symmetry. So is there a hamiltonian term I don't know or is there any subtlety in ferromagnets?

Physics news on Phys.org
In spontaneous symmetry breaking, there is never a term which explicitly breaks the symmetry in the Hamiltonian

OK, I finally learned spontaneous symmetry breaking. However, I am stilled confused. Supposing two local minimum in ferromagnets, time reversal symmetry will transform one into another, both of which are ground states of the Hamiltonian. Thus, it seems that ##T## is actually commutable with ##H##. Then what does time reversal symmetry breaking mean here?

T commutes with H, but the ground state is not symmetric under T. That's the general situation in spontaneous symmetry breaking. Likewise, rotational symmetry is also spontaneously broken in a ferromagnet. While the hamiltonian is symmetric under rotations, each of the ground states which are intertransformed under rotations shows a preferred orientation of the spin directions.

In fact, the spontaneously broken symmetries cannot be represented as operators in a Hilbert space, as all matrix elements involving two different ground states vanish. That's the formal definition of a spontaneously broken symmetry.

DrDu said:
In fact, the spontaneously broken symmetries cannot be represented as operators in a Hilbert space, as all matrix elements involving two different ground states vanish. That's the formal definition of a spontaneously broken symmetry.
I don't understand this. Can you show me an example?

The different grounds states belong to what are called different superselection sectors. It means that you basically can't get from one to the other in the thermodynamic limit. If you think of the Ising model, the ordered spin up state and ordered spin down states are degenerate without a magnetic field. However, you cannot get between the two ordered states through spin flips in a finite time in an infinite system.

By the way, the reason that AFs break time reversal is that time reversal flips the spins on each site. AFs also break translation (double the unit cell) but the combination of translation and TR is preserved.

Related to What breaks time reversal symmetry in ferromagnets

1. What is time reversal symmetry?

Time reversal symmetry is a fundamental concept in physics which states that the laws of physics remain unchanged when time is reversed. This means that the behavior of a system should be the same whether time is moving forward or backward.

2. What is a ferromagnet?

A ferromagnet is a material that exhibits strong, permanent magnetism. This means that it has a consistent magnetic field and will retain its magnetism even after an external magnetic field is removed.

3. Why is time reversal symmetry important in ferromagnets?

Time reversal symmetry is important in ferromagnets because it helps us understand the behavior of magnetic materials. It allows us to predict how a material will behave under different conditions and can help us design new materials with specific magnetic properties.

4. What breaks time reversal symmetry in ferromagnets?

In ferromagnets, time reversal symmetry is broken by the alignment of magnetic moments within the material. These moments are caused by the spins of individual electrons, which can align in the same direction to create a strong magnetic field.

5. How does the breaking of time reversal symmetry affect the properties of ferromagnets?

The breaking of time reversal symmetry in ferromagnets leads to the formation of a strong, permanent magnetic field. This allows ferromagnets to be used in a variety of applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and data storage devices.