Symmetry breaking in the AdS small/large black hole phase transition

codebpr
TL;DR Summary
Which symmetry is being broken during a small/large AdS black hole phase transition using the Landau's phase transition approach?
I am trying to reproduce the results from this paper where they find out the expression for the Landau functional to be

$$\psi(x,t,p)=\frac{1}{4}(\frac{1}{x}+6x+px^3-4tx^2)$$

We plot the Landau functional v/s the order parameter($x$) at $p=0.5$ and obtain the Figure 4. from the paper as

testing1.png

Now according to free energy approach, this is a first-order phase transition. According to Landau theory, every phase transition is related to a symmetry breaking. Which symmetry is being broken here, for this system of AdS black holes?

Physics news on Phys.org
At least with the van der Waals model, i.e. gas-liquid phase transition, there is no symmetry breaking associated with it. I think it is simply not true that every phase transition is related to a symmetry breaking.

DrDu said:
At least with the van der Waals model, i.e. gas-liquid phase transition, there is no symmetry breaking associated with it. I think it is simply not true that every phase transition is related to a symmetry breaking.
Supposedly Landau theory only fails in that respect in some weird low temperature scenaria, but you are right that I can't really think of how the gas to liquid transition breaks a symmetry... I also can't seem to find it anywhere, maybe someone else knows...

codebpr said:
Which symmetry is being broken here
One can answer this question formally, without understanding physics. Shift the variable ##x## such that the red minimum of the plotted function is at ##x=0##. The minimum ##x=0## is hence invariant under the transformation ##x\to -x##. The green minimum is not invariant under ##x\to -x##, so the broken symmetry is the inversion ##x\to -x##, for the shifted ##x##.

Hm, ok, but this is not a symmetry of the system or its hamiltonian.

DrDu said:
Hm, ok, but this is not a symmetry of the system or its hamiltonian.
True, in general there is no any reason why the Landau functional should have any exact symmetry. But close to the minimum ##x=x_{\rm red}## the functional can be expanded
$$\psi(x,...)=a+b(x-x_{\rm red})^2+...$$
which at least has an approximate symmetry.

EDIT: Or maybe there is always some exact symmetry in the sense of Galois theory?
http://www.cc.kyoto-su.ac.jp/project/MISC/slide/seminar-s/2011/120112Takeuchi.pdf

1. What is symmetry breaking in the AdS small/large black hole phase transition?

Symmetry breaking in the AdS small/large black hole phase transition refers to a phenomenon in which the symmetry of a system changes as it undergoes a phase transition from a small black hole to a large black hole in an Anti-de Sitter (AdS) spacetime. This transition is characterized by a change in the thermodynamic properties of the black hole, such as its temperature and entropy.

2. How does symmetry breaking occur in the AdS small/large black hole phase transition?

Symmetry breaking in the AdS small/large black hole phase transition occurs due to the competition between different phases of the black hole. As the black hole grows larger, new symmetries emerge and the original symmetries are broken, resulting in a change in the thermodynamic properties of the system.

3. What is the significance of symmetry breaking in the AdS small/large black hole phase transition?

The phenomenon of symmetry breaking in the AdS small/large black hole phase transition has important implications for our understanding of black holes and their thermodynamic properties. It also has potential applications in other areas of physics, such as condensed matter systems and cosmology.

4. Can symmetry breaking be observed in real-world black holes?

While the AdS small/large black hole phase transition is a theoretical concept, some aspects of symmetry breaking may be observed in real-world black holes. For example, the detection of gravitational waves from merging black holes could provide evidence for the formation of a larger black hole and the breaking of symmetries.

5. Are there any open questions or areas of research related to symmetry breaking in the AdS small/large black hole phase transition?

Yes, there are still many unanswered questions and ongoing research in this area. Some current topics of interest include the role of quantum effects in the phase transition and the connection between symmetry breaking and the information paradox in black hole thermodynamics.