What books should I read to learn applied physics?

In summary, for an engineering student in their first year looking to self-study applied physics, it is recommended to focus on learning general physics first. This can be achieved through studying textbooks such as "Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism" and "Fundamental University Physics". These texts will provide a solid foundation for further specialization in the field of applied physics.
AhmedHesham
Summary: What books should I read to learn applied physics?

If I want to study applied physics
What books should I read ?
What are the topics?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? For an undergrad program? Grad? For a job? What field? Why? What is your goal?

@marcusl beat me to it. We need to know *much* more about your background and what you know so far and where you want to go with this. The more details you can provide, the better we can do our best to help you. :smile:

OK. I'm an engineering student in the first year. And I plan to specialize in electronics .and I wanted to study applied physics by my self. Self learning .

Likes berkeman
So you've had Calculus (differential and integral calc), and maybe one Calculus-based Physics class so far? One approach you might take is study from the Physics books you will be using in your classes in your 2nd year. That will be challenging, and put you ahead of the other students when you get to those classes... :smile:

Likes AhmedHesham
berkeman said:
So you've had Calculus (differential and integral calc), and maybe one Calculus-based Physics class so far? One approach you might take is study from the Physics books you will be using in your classes in your 2nd year. That will be challenging, and put you ahead of the other students when you get to those classes... :smile:
Thanks

Likes berkeman
AhmedHesham said:
OK. I'm an engineering student in the first year. And I plan to specialize in electronics .and I wanted to study applied physics by my self. Self learning .

You just need to learn General Physics. Period. There is no such thing as learning "applied physics". There are physics courses and texts geared towards engineering majors, etc., but these are more academic goals than a specific discipline of physics.

Zz.

Likes marcusl
I agree with ZapperZ. Applied Physics is a graduate department at many universities, but its students have completed an undergraduate degree in physics. You can't specialize until you know the basics.

Kip: Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism. Good intro EM book.
Alonso: Fundamental University Physics. Best physics intro series.

Likes AhmedHesham
MidgetDwarf said:
Kip: Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism. Good intro EM book.
Alonso: Fundamental University Physics. Best physics intro series.
Thanks

Related to What books should I read to learn applied physics?

1. What are the best books for beginners to learn applied physics?

Some popular books for beginners in applied physics include "Introduction to Applied Physics" by John E. Ayers and "Fundamentals of Applied Physics" by Arthur Beiser.

2. Are there any specific books for learning applied physics in a particular field?

Yes, there are many books that focus on the application of physics in specific fields such as engineering, biophysics, and materials science. Some examples include "Applied Physics for Engineers" by Keith L. Moore and "Applied Physics in Biomedicine" by Mark D. Bednarski.

3. What are some recommended books for advanced learners of applied physics?

For advanced learners, "Advanced Engineering Physics" by Palaniappa Krishnan and "Advanced Applied Physics" by David Halliday are highly recommended. Other options include "Applied Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Douglas C. Giancoli and "Applied Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Raymond A. Serway and John W. Jewett.

4. Are there any online resources or e-books available for learning applied physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and e-books available for learning applied physics. Some popular options include "Applied Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul Allen Tipler and "Applied Physics" by K. S. Krishna and M. N. Avadhanulu, both of which are available as e-books.

5. Can you recommend any supplementary books or resources for a comprehensive understanding of applied physics?

In addition to textbooks, there are many supplementary books and resources that can help enhance your understanding of applied physics. Some suggestions include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman, "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths.