What bonding material is resistant to propanol?

In summary, the circuit is not watertight and the chosen potting material will not resist the effects of water vapor. A metal can is probably the best solution with tightly fitted electrically-insulated wires sealed with a bead of epoxy.
bemaitea
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to seal a circuit as described in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2068433&posted=1#post2068433

My question to you chemical engineers, do you guys know of any sort of bonding material (like epoxy) which will not dissolve in porpanol?

I'm having a tough time water sealing this circuit with my materials because they all seem to fall apart after a period of time in propanol!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
bemaitea said:
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to seal a circuit as described in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2068433&posted=1#post2068433

My question to you chemical engineers, do you guys know of any sort of bonding material (like epoxy) which will not dissolve in porpanol?

Better described as a 'potting material' rather than a bonding agent. Any of the thermoset type of polymers will give you some resistance but you should keep in mind that your circuit will eventually come into contact with water vapor. Water resistance is a meaningless term in circuits like these since water vapor migrates through most materials (especially water resistant epoxies) and accumulates in the interior of the potted component. This component will eventually experience 100% relative humidity. A metal can is probably the best solution with tightly fitted electrically-insulated wires sealed with a bead of epoxy. Better yet a metal tube with the open end well away from the propanol/water solution... starting to sound more and more like an RTD metal probe.

I'm having a tough time water sealing this circuit with my materials because they all seem to fall apart after a period of time in propanol!

Thanks!

Propanol is only one facet of your problems! Heat shrink tubing is not the way to go even though it would appear to be a solution. The molecular structure of heat shrink tubing is very open... kind of like expanded metal fabric. Those openings can let a lot of stuff through. Even after applying heat, the structure is more or less an open mesh. Heat shrink was designed to be an electrical insulator, not a solvent/water resistant material!

Your choice of potting compound will probably be limited to RTV silicones (electronics grade only!) and epoxy. Allow the epoxy to cure normally (as you would treat your sensor)... don't accelerate the cure before testing since an accelerated cure will negatively impact solvent resistance. Plan on this component being a disposable item in your system.

hey chemisttree, thanks a lot for the very informative post!

I went over to ACE last night to try to find some RTV silicone, but alas it was a shot in the dark. I did, however, find a solution which seems to be holding up.

I describe it here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2070305&posted=1#post2070305

What's your take on that?

Related to What bonding material is resistant to propanol?

What is bonding material in a solvent?

Bonding material in a solvent refers to a substance that is used to connect or bond two or more surfaces together. The solvent acts as a carrier for the bonding material, allowing it to spread evenly between the surfaces and create a strong bond.

What are the common types of bonding material used in solvents?

There are several types of bonding material that can be used in solvents, including adhesives, glues, resins, and epoxies. Each type has its own unique properties and is suitable for different bonding applications.

How does bonding material in a solvent work?

The bonding material in a solvent works by dissolving and spreading between the surfaces that need to be bonded together. Once the solvent evaporates, the bonding material hardens and creates a strong bond between the two surfaces.

What are the benefits of using bonding material in a solvent?

Bonding material in a solvent is often preferred over other bonding methods because it provides a strong and durable bond, is easy to apply, and can be used on a variety of materials. It also allows for a more even distribution of the bonding material, resulting in a more secure bond.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using bonding material in a solvent?

Yes, it is important to carefully read and follow the instructions for the specific bonding material and solvent being used. Some solvents may be flammable or toxic, so proper ventilation and protective gear should be used. It is also important to handle the bonding material carefully to avoid skin or eye contact.