What B-field is required so that the protons are not deflected?

In summary, the problem involves a proton being accelerated through a potential of 20.0 kV and entering a velocity filter consisting of a parallel-plate capacitor and a magnetic field. The E-field between the capacitor plates is given as 5.9x10^5 N/C and the question asks for the required B-field to prevent proton deflection. By setting the forces due to the electric and magnetic fields equal to each other, the B-field can be solved for as E divided by the speed of the protons. The speed of the protons can be found using their kinetic energy, which is equal to the accelerating voltage multiplied by the charge of the protons. The mass of the protons is known and can be substituted in
shimizua

Homework Statement

A proton that is accelerated from rest through a potential of 20.0 kV enters the velocity filter, consisting of a parallel-plate capacitor and a magnetic field, shown below.
http://capa-new.colorado.edu/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype61/prob09_velfilter.gif
The E-field between the parallel capacitor plates is 5.9x105 N/C. What B-field is required so that the protons are not deflected?

Homework Equations

he protons entering the region of the electric field E will experience a force directed downward with magnitude:

z*E, where z = +1 elementary charge

The protons will also experience a force due to the magnetic field of magnitude:

z*v*B,

where v is the speed of the protons. The direction of this force is given by the right hand rule, so for a magnetic field directed into the page, this force is directed toward the top of the page.

When these forces are equal in magnitude, then the proton will pass undeflected through the velocity filter. The condition of interest is then:

z*v*B = z*E

B = E/v

To find the speed of the protons, we need to calculate their kinetic energy:

(1/2)*m*v^2 = z*V,

where V is the accelerating voltage, so

v = sqrt(2*z*V/m)

B = E/sqrt(2*z*V/m)

E = 5.9*10^5 N/C
z = 1.602*10^-19 C
V = 20*10^3 V
m = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just really confused on how to find what m is since i don't know what v is? like i know the big V but not the little v.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just use the fact that the mass of the proton is 1.67x10^-27 kg? It doesn't seem you're supposed to solve for this.

I don't think the velocity matters in this case, because no matter what velocity the protons are traveling at, they will either feel a deflection or not.

hahaha, so i accidentially did 301 T insead of .301 T and that was y i was getting it wrong. like i had through that it was just the mass of the proton but since i got it wrong i figured my mass was wrong. thanks though dude

Related to What B-field is required so that the protons are not deflected?

1. What is a B-field?

A B-field, also known as a magnetic field, is a region of space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons or protons.

2. How does a B-field affect protons?

A B-field can cause protons to experience a force due to their positive charge and movement. This force can cause the protons to change direction or be deflected.

3. What determines the strength of the B-field needed to deflect protons?

The strength of the B-field needed to deflect protons depends on the velocity of the protons, their mass, and the angle at which they enter the field. The stronger the B-field, the more force it can exert on the protons.

4. What is the minimum B-field required to prevent proton deflection?

The minimum B-field required to prevent proton deflection varies depending on the specific situation, but it can be calculated using the proton's mass, charge, and velocity. In general, a stronger B-field is needed for faster-moving protons or protons with a larger charge.

5. How is a B-field created?

A B-field is typically created by moving electric charges, such as in an electric current or by spinning electrons in an atom. It can also be created by magnets or electromagnetic coils.