What area of EE would this fall under?

In summary, the speaker is a second year EE student who needs to choose a specialization for their career. They have enjoyed a course on Digital System Design where they learned how to program an FPGA using VHDL and created a Morse code generator/receiver as their project. They are interested in pursuing this area and are curious about potential career opportunities, which could include computer engineering, hardware design, and embedded systems.
Enrickey
I'm in my second year of EE at my university right now, and I'm going to have to pick what I want to specialize in. That means I should now have some sort of idea of what I actually want to do once I graduate.

The class that I've enjoyed the most thus far has got to be one called Digital System Design where we essentially learn how to program an FPGA using VHDL. The semester's project was to create a Morse code generator/receiver.

Compared to everything else I've done so far, this is the one area that's really been able to grab my attention. Also, I seem to be having a far easier time figuring things out than the rest of my classmates.

The thing is that this course is obviously at a very basic level. If I were to continue taking courses in this area, what sort of career can I eventually expect? Exactly what kind of jobs actually use things like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Enrickey said:
If I were to continue taking courses in this area, what sort of career can I eventually expect? Exactly what kind of jobs actually use things like this?
Basically, you'd be going down the path of a computer engineer. You'd be specializing in digital integrated circuits, which means lots of courses on device physics (semi-conductors), electronics, switching systems, and the like. Related jobs are in hardware design (video cards, sound cards, processors), embedded systems, and the like.

Related to What area of EE would this fall under?

What area of EE would this fall under?

This is a common question because electrical engineering (EE) is a broad field with many sub-disciplines. Here are the 5 most frequently asked questions about which area of EE a particular topic or project would fall under:

1. Is this topic related to power systems?

Power systems is a branch of EE that deals with the generation, transmission, and distribution of electrical energy. This would include topics such as power generation, power distribution networks, and renewable energy systems.

2. Would this be considered a topic in electronics?

Electronics is a sub-discipline of EE that focuses on the design and development of electronic devices and circuits. This would include topics such as analog and digital circuits, microelectronics, and semiconductor devices.

3. Does this fall under the field of communication systems?

Communication systems is a branch of EE that deals with the transmission of information through various mediums such as wireless, fiber optics, and satellite. This would include topics such as signal processing, network protocols, and wireless communication technologies.

4. Is this topic related to control systems?

Control systems is a sub-discipline of EE that deals with the analysis and design of systems that regulate or control other systems. This would include topics such as feedback control, automation, and robotics.

5. Would this be considered a topic in computer engineering?

Computer engineering is a field that combines principles of EE and computer science to design and develop computer systems and hardware. This would include topics such as computer architecture, embedded systems, and digital logic design.