What are your favourite physics/mathematics misconceptions?

• Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
In summary: So, the definition of force is an approximation that needs to be refined over time? Interesting.In summary, this conversation is discussing how the definition of force is an approximation that needs to be refined over time.
As a kid, I thought we could get rid of our nuclear waste by shooting it into the sun only using the sun's gravity. Now I know, that this plan has a little momentum problem. But on the other hand, I have a new idea: why not use the waste for generating electric energy for a small magnetic field so that the radiation can be turned into an ion thruster?

Likes Keith_McClary
Physics news on Phys.org
Better yet - if you have a Kerr black hole handy...

1638582177134.png

1638582192299.png

Source: MTW.

Likes Keith_McClary and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
As a kid, I thought we could get rid of our nuclear waste by shooting it into the sun only using the sun's gravity. Now I know, that this plan has a little momentum problem. But on the other hand, I have a new idea: why not use the waste for generating electric energy for a small magnetic field so that the radiation can be turned into an ion thruster?
I actually saw a presentation about launching waste into orbit in the late nineties. If memory serves, putting the stuff in an orbit inside of Venus is “reasonable.” The big problem is Earth’s gravity well. Large amounts in a single launch has safety problems in case things go wrong. The proposal I saw proposed launching small volumes to get around this. Another issues is getting the material to a launch site. A lot of the waste is a sludge in decaying barrels. The total amount is extremely large in the context of moving or “processing” it for launch.

fresh_42 said:
This only happens to famous skeletons, and only if someone who is alive starts it!
Newton would rotate in his grave.
What kind of angular momentum would he have?

jedishrfu said:
What kind of angular momentum would he have?
About 2 Nms.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu