What Are Transient Lunar Phenomena?

In summary, "Transient Lunar Phenomena" (TLP) refers to unusual sightings on the moon that contradict the commonly held belief that its surface is unchanging. This includes strange lights, colored mist, and physical features that appear and disappear. While some dismiss TLP as misperceptions or amateur mistakes, they have been observed by reputable astronomers and even Apollo astronauts. The subject is still not widely studied, but has gained some credibility with the interest of renowned astronomer Patrick Moore. However, his definition of TLP only includes red mists that may be caused by gases rising from the moon's surface due to moonquakes. The conversation then shifts to a reported sighting of a flashing light on the dark side of the moon by an
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Introduction
"Transient Lunar Phenomena" (TLP) is a term used to describe anything which is seen on the moon which is not supposed to be there, and which contradicts the view that the surface of the moon is dead and unchanging. TLP includes strange lights which appear and then subsequently vanish, areas of mist (sometimes coloured) and physical features which appear to come and go. The subject remains controversial, with TLP being dismissed as the result of misperception, or misidentification of craters by amateurs. TLP have however been observed by distinguished astronomers, and even Apollo astronauts. The subject is still largely ignored by astronomers [2] but I feel that the subject has become marginally more respectable ever since Patrick Moore saw a TLP and took an interest in the subject. Moore (who claims to have coined the term "TLP.") restricts the term to red mists, which he explains (tentatively) as gases rising from below the lunar surface, possibly as a result of "moonquakes"[3]. [continued]

http://www.planetfusion.co.uk/~pignut/tlp.html
also see http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/farout/story/0,13028,1315487,00.html

When I saw this I thought about the Astronaut who while orbiting the moon saw a flashing light on the dark side. He reported the light and was told to watch on the next pass at which time he saw the light again in the same location. I know this really happened and I have always wondered what the source might have been. My best guess was an unknown Russian probe, but since the fall of the Ex Soviet no such missions have come to light that may explain what was seen. Of course, the ET buffs have their own suggestions.

One thing that always bothered me about my Russian probe explanation is the obvious question: For whom was the light flashing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Polarization would be a possibility. Catching a polarized reflection at just the right angle at the right time would be a reasonable explanation. I have seen this phenomenon in clouds while flying at 38,000 feet.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Transient Lunar Phenomena (TLP). It is a fascinating topic that has captivated the interest of both amateur and professional astronomers alike. The fact that TLP have been observed by reputable sources such as Apollo astronauts and Patrick Moore adds credibility to the phenomenon.

Your mention of the flashing light seen by an astronaut while orbiting the moon is intriguing. It is a reminder that there is still so much we don't know about our own moon and the potential for unexpected occurrences. While it is possible that the light could have been from an unknown Russian probe, as you suggested, the fact that it was seen in the same location on multiple passes raises questions about its source and purpose.

The idea that TLP could be connected to extraterrestrial activity is a popular theory among some, but it is important to approach this subject with a critical and open mind. As with any unexplained phenomenon, it is important to consider all possible explanations and gather evidence before jumping to conclusions.

Regardless of the cause, TLP serve as a reminder that there is still much to be discovered and understood about our closest celestial neighbor. As technology and our understanding of the moon continue to advance, perhaps we will one day have a clearer understanding of these mysterious transient lunar phenomena.

Related to What Are Transient Lunar Phenomena?

1. What are Transient Lunar Phenomena (TLP)?

Transient Lunar Phenomena, also known as lunar transient events, are short-lived changes in the appearance or behavior of the Moon's surface. These events can include changes in color, brightness, and shape of lunar features, as well as the appearance of new features or the disappearance of existing ones.

2. What causes Transient Lunar Phenomena?

The exact cause of TLP is still unknown and is a subject of ongoing scientific research. Some theories suggest that these events could be caused by meteoroid impacts, gas releases from lunar volcanic activity, or electrostatic discharges. However, these explanations have not been conclusively proven.

3. How common are Transient Lunar Phenomena?

TLP are relatively rare and unpredictable events. They have been observed by both amateur and professional astronomers, but their occurrence is sporadic and not easily reproducible. Some estimates suggest that TLP may occur on the lunar surface about once a week, but this is still uncertain.

4. Can TLP be observed with the naked eye?

Yes, some TLP have been reported to be visible to the naked eye, especially when they involve changes in the brightness or color of the Moon. However, due to the infrequency and short duration of these events, they may be difficult to detect without specialized equipment.

5. How do scientists study and track Transient Lunar Phenomena?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study TLP, including telescopes, high-speed cameras, and spacecraft observations. They also rely on reports from amateur astronomers and citizen scientists to track and document these events. With advances in technology and continued research, we hope to gain a better understanding of TLP and their underlying causes.