What are these velocity formulas used for?

In summary, the conversation is about a student trying to understand how certain formulas for velocity and acceleration apply to the topic of gravity. The formulas discussed are v=at+v0 and v-v0=a(t-t0). The student is also confused about the notation of v1 and v0 and their significance. The attempt at a solution is for someone to provide clarification and help the student understand these concepts.
mogibb1

Homework Statement

I copied these formulas down that my professor had written on the board, but I have no
idea how they may apply to velocity or acceleration.

Homework Equations

v=at+v0

v-v0=a(t-t0)

v1=10(1)+0 = 10 m/s I believe that the 10 represents gravity, but don't know what the (1)+0 is for. Also, what does the V1 indicate?

He had V0 written off to the side by itself and I think he said something about it being where an object started at rest, but I don't remember what he said and I didn't have a chance to ask because he was quickly onto the next topic.

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

I'm trying to make sense of everything I copied down from the blackboard, but I don't recall anything about these items. If anyone can help I do appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
v=v0+at
v = velocity at time t.
v0 = initial velocity (m/s_
a= acceleration (m/s2)
t= time (s)

More can be found http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/1dkin/u1l6a.cfm" .

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What are these velocity formulas used for?

1. What is the formula for velocity?

The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only represents magnitude.

3. How is velocity calculated using acceleration?

Velocity can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v represents final velocity, u represents initial velocity, a represents acceleration, and t represents time.

4. Why is velocity important in physics?

Velocity is important in physics because it describes the rate of change of an object's position over time and is a key factor in understanding the motion of objects and systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of velocity formulas?

Velocity formulas are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving vehicle, determining the trajectory of a projectile, and analyzing the motion of objects in sports or engineering projects.