This question can be answered using the formula D=VT for both cyclists.

• Thread starter Turkishking
  • Start date
In summary, the first cyclist accelerates at 2.4 m/s^2 to catch his friend who is riding at a constant speed of 3.5 m/s. It takes 1.6 seconds for the first cyclist to catch his friend. To calculate the distance traveled, the formula d=x0+1/2(V0+V)t can be used when there is constant acceleration. The two cyclists have traveled different distances at time t, and the equation used should consider the context of the problem.
Turkishking
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
A bicylist is finishing his repair of a flat tire when a friend rides by a constant speed of 3.5 m/s. Two seconds later the bicylist hops on his bike and accelerates 2.4 m/s^2 until he catches his friend.

a) How much time does it take until he catches his friend?

What I did was:

v=v0 + at

solved for T..

V-V0/a = t

3.5 - 0/2.4 = 1.6s

(b) how far has he traveled?

Can I use D=VT? or should I use the formula x=x0 + 1/2(V0 + V)t?

I'm confused when I can use D=vt..

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula:

##d=vt##

should only be applied when ##v## is constant, otherwise you should use:

##d=\overline{v}t##

where ##\overline{v}## is the average speed. When there is constant acceleration, then we know:

##\overline{v}=\frac{v_i+v_f}{2}##

MarkFL said:
The formula:

##d=vt##

should only be applied when ##v## is constant, otherwise you should use:

##d=\overline{v}t##

where ##\overline{v}## is the average speed. When there is constant acceleration, then we know:

##\overline{v}=\frac{v_i+v_f}{2}##

can i use x=x0 + 1/2(V0 + V)t?

Turkishking said:
can i use x=x0 + 1/2(V0 + V)t?

Yes, if you'll notice we can write:

##d=\overline{v}t\tag{1}##

Now, suppose we use

##d=\Delta x=x-x_0,\,\overline{v}=\frac{v_0+v}{2}##

Then (1) becomes:

##x-x_0=\frac{v_0+v}{2}t##

or:

##x=x_0+\frac{v_0+v}{2}t##

So, the two formulas are really the same thing just written in different ways.

Likes Turkishking
MarkFL said:
Yes, if you'll notice we can write:

##d=\overline{v}t\tag{1}##

Now, suppose we use

##d=\Delta x=x-x_0,\,\overline{v}=\frac{v_0+v}{2}##

Then (1) becomes:

##x-x_0=\frac{v_0+v}{2}t##

or:

##x=x_0+\frac{v_0+v}{2}t##

So, the two formulas are really the same thing just written in different ways.
thank you :)

Likes MarkFL
Turkishking said:
3.5 - 0/2.4 = 1.6s
i presume you mean (3.5 - 0)/2.4.
That equation will tell you how long it takes for the cyclist to reach 3.5m/s, but that is not the question asked.
Your mistake is to apply equations just because they involve the right types of quantity, in this case an acceleration, a time and two speeds. An equation is meaningless divorced of the context to which it applies.

haruspex said:
i presume you mean (3.5 - 0)/2.4.
That equation will tell you how long it takes for the cyclist to reach 3.5m/s, but that is not the question asked.
Your mistake is to apply equations just because they involve the right types of quantity, in this case an acceleration, a time and two speeds. An equation is meaningless divorced of the context to which it applies.
So then what am I doing wrong

Turkishking said:
So then what am I doing wrong
I have told you what you did wrong. What you would like to know is what you should have done.
At time 0 the second cyclist passes the first. At time t, >2s, how far has each cyclist travelled?

Related to This question can be answered using the formula D=VT for both cyclists.

1. When should I use the formula d=vt?

The formula d=vt is used to calculate distance when an object is moving at a constant speed. It is commonly used in kinematics to solve problems involving motion.

2. Can I use d=vt for objects moving at varying speeds?

No, d=vt can only be used for objects moving at a constant speed. If the object's speed is changing, you would need to use a different formula such as the equation of motion or the average velocity formula.

3. Is the formula d=vt only used for linear motion?

Yes, d=vt is used for linear motion, meaning the object is moving in a straight line. If the object is moving in a curved path, a different formula would need to be used.

4. What units should be used for d, v, and t in the formula d=vt?

The unit for distance (d) is typically in meters (m), the unit for velocity (v) is in meters per second (m/s), and the unit for time (t) is in seconds (s). However, it is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation.

5. Can d=vt be used for both positive and negative values?

Yes, d=vt can be used for both positive and negative values. The sign of the value will indicate the direction of the object's motion. Positive values represent motion in the positive direction, while negative values represent motion in the negative direction.