What are the two points on y = x^4 - 2x^2 - x with a shared tangent line?

In summary, the problem is trying to find the two points on the curve y = x^4 - 2x^2 - x that have a common tangent line. There is a method of finding them, but it is more complicated than the problem statement suggests.
k3232x
Hi, I am having problems with the following problem. The main issue is actually starting the problem.

Find the two points on the curve y = x^4 - 2x^2 - x that have a common tangent line.

Physics news on Phys.org
k3232x said:
Hi, I am having problems with the following problem. The main issue is actually starting the problem.

Find the two points on the curve y = x^4 - 2x^2 - x that have a common tangent line.
Say I'd give you a point p0=(x0,y0), where x0 and y0 are certain, fixed real values. How would you calculate the tangent line?

You first need to find the derivative of y = x^4 - 2x^2 - x

I took the derivative of the equation and got:

y`= 4x^3 - 4x - 1 and put that into the equation of a tangent to the curve:

y=(4x^3 - 4x - 1)x + c ; where c is the intercept.

Then replaced y with the original equation:

x^4 - 2x^2 - x = (4x^3 -4x - 1)x + c

Then solved for the intercept:

c= -3x^4 + 2x^2

Need 2 points which have a common tangent, (a,b) and (c,d) then:

4a^3 -4a -1 = 4c^3 -4c -1 and

-3a^4 + 2a^2 = -3c^4 - 2c^2

Now here's where I am stuck. I don't know how to solve these equations which would then give me the points (a,b) and (c,d) that i need for a common tangent line.

Try writing
[tex]4a^3 -4a -1 = 4c^3 -4c -1[/tex]
and
[tex]-3a^4 + 2a^2 = -3c^4 - 2c^2[/tex]
as
[tex]4(a^3- c^3)- 4(a-c)= 0[/tex]
and
[tex]-3(a^4- c^4)+ 2(a^2- c^2)= 0[/tex]
and factor:
[tex]a^4- c^4= (a- c)(a^3+ a^2b+ ab^2+ b^3)[/tex]
[tex]a^3- c^3= (a- c)(a^2+ ab+ b^2)[/tex]
[tex]a^3- b^2= (a- c)(a+ b)[/tex]
Obviously a= c so a- c= 0 satisfies both of your original equations. What else will?

Last edited by a moderator:
k3232x said:

Take the derivative of the f(x).

y' = 4x^3 - 4x - 1

That is your tangant line function, now we need to find only two points that have the same tangent line. Find the tangent line at a point. In this case, we'll find it for 1.

y' = 4(1)^3 - 4(1) - 1
y' = -1

Now, let's plug that back into the equation and try to find the other values that have the same slope.

-1 = 4x^3 - 4x - 1
0 = 4x^3 - 4x
0 = 4x(x^2 - 1)
0 = 4x(x-1)(x+1)

Which means that it will have a slope of -1 at (-1,-2); (1,-2); and (0,0).

Let's check that out.

f'(-1) = 4x^3 - 4x - 1 = -1
f'(0) = 4x^3 - 4x - 1 = -1
f'(1) = 4x^3 - 4x - 1 = -1 (From previous steps)

Confirmed.

Those points up above are points that have the same tangent line.

GoldPheonix said:
Take the derivative of the f(x).

y' = 4x^3 - 4x - 1

That is your tangant line function, now we need to find only two points that have the same tangent line. Find the tangent line at a point. In this case, we'll find it for 1.

y' = 4(1)^3 - 4(1) - 1
y' = -1

Now, let's plug that back into the equation and try to find the other values that have the same slope.

-1 = 4x^3 - 4x - 1
0 = 4x^3 - 4x
0 = 4x(x^2 - 1)
0 = 4x(x-1)(x+1)

Which means that it will have a slope of -1 at (-1,-2); (1,-2); and (0,0).

Let's check that out.

f'(-1) = 4x^3 - 4x - 1 = -1
f'(0) = 4x^3 - 4x - 1 = -1
f'(1) = 4x^3 - 4x - 1 = -1 (From previous steps)

Confirmed.

Those points up above are points that have the same tangent line.
No, that gives points that have parallel tangent lines, not necessarily the same tangent line.

Oh, I see. They want the points where they have the same linear tangent line function. Well, in that case:

y + 2 = -1(x -1) => y = -x -1
y + 2 = -1(x + 1) => y = -x -3
y + 0 = -x

In which case, those points do not have equal tangent line functions. Yeah, I would use a different method to find things of equal tangent line functions.

Related to What are the two points on y = x^4 - 2x^2 - x with a shared tangent line?

What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at a single point and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to know the point of tangency and the slope of the curve at that point. You can use the slope formula, y = mx + b, to calculate the y-intercept (b) and then plug in the known point and slope to find the equation.

What is the relationship between a tangent line and a derivative?

The slope of a tangent line is equal to the derivative of the curve at the point of tangency. In other words, the derivative is the rate of change of the curve at a specific point, and the tangent line represents that rate of change.

Can a tangent line intersect a curve more than once?

No, a tangent line can only intersect a curve at one point. If it intersects the curve at more than one point, it is no longer a tangent line but a secant line.

What is the purpose of finding the tangent line of a curve?

The tangent line of a curve can help us determine the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at a specific point. This is useful in many applications, such as finding maximum and minimum values, optimization problems, and predicting future behavior of a system.