What are the topics in theoretical and mathematical physics?

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore at a Japanese university studying general physics, linear algebra, and analysis. They have also self-studied basics of distributions, Hilbert spaces, Lebesgue integration, local form of Maxwell’s equations, and calculus of variations. They are interested in high energy physics, specifically particle and astroparticle physics, as well as mathematical analysis. They are looking for guidance on finding a suitable research topic and are interested in becoming a theoretical physicist in the future. They are passionate about understanding the universe and contributing to academia.
Eslam100
I'm a rising physics sophomore at a Japanese university. I've studied general physics, linear algebra, and analysis (actually, calculus of single and several variables with emphasis on analysis, everything was proven and the theoretical background was well explained)
Other than that, I've self-studied the very basics of distributions, Hilbert spaces, Lebesgue integration, local form of Maxwell’s equations, and calculus of variations. not rigorous though I'm interested in fields, high energy physics(specially, particle and astroparticle physics) and mathematical analysis.

I'd like to work on something that is suitable for my level. I'm also fine with self-studying other subjects to reduce the gap to a certain interesting research topic.

Can someone help me with that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give us an idea of your interests?

Where do you hope to be in 5 or 10 years?

Do you plan to practice as a mathematician or as an experimental or theoretical physicist?

I plan to be a theoretical physicist. I'm interested in both theory and how the mathematics is used to describe the nature of the universe. I'm fascinated by the idea of symmetry and how a lot of physical phenomena can be described in terms of symmetry. I'm also interested in symmetry breaking. However, I don't have enough math and physics to understand such concepts so I'm welling to self-study a lot and accelerate my learning curve to get faster to research.
It would be great if i can do some kind of high quality research at a young age.
So as you can see, I'm into academia. I hope I can understand the world better and add something valuable to it along the way.

Related to What are the topics in theoretical and mathematical physics?

1. What is the difference between theoretical and mathematical physics?

Theoretical physics is the study of natural phenomena and physical laws using mathematical models and theories. It focuses on developing and testing theories to explain and predict the behavior of the physical world. On the other hand, mathematical physics is the application of mathematical methods to solve problems in physics. It involves using mathematical techniques and concepts to analyze and understand physical systems.

2. What are some common topics in theoretical physics?

Some common topics in theoretical physics include classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, relativity, and cosmology. These topics cover a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of particles at the atomic scale to the structure and evolution of the entire universe.

3. How is mathematics used in theoretical physics?

Mathematics is a crucial tool in theoretical physics. It provides the language and framework for formulating theories and making predictions about physical systems. Mathematical concepts and techniques, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, are used to describe and analyze the behavior of physical systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of theoretical and mathematical physics?

Theoretical and mathematical physics have numerous real-world applications, including the development of new technologies, such as lasers, computer chips, and nuclear power. They are also used in fields like astrophysics, materials science, and engineering to understand and design complex systems.

5. Is a background in mathematics necessary for studying theoretical physics?

A strong foundation in mathematics is essential for studying theoretical physics. Concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are fundamental to understanding and formulating theories in physics. However, it is possible to learn the necessary mathematics while studying theoretical physics, as long as you are willing to put in the effort to learn and practice these concepts.