What are the top physics schools in Canada for students interested in aerospace?

In summary, some well-known schools in Canada for physics, especially in the field of aerospace, are the University of Toronto, McGill University, University of British Columbia, University of Alberta, McMaster University, University of Western Ontario, and University of Victoria. U of T has a renowned EngSci program, while McGill is also highly ranked. Other factors to consider when choosing a school include location, course offerings, and potential scholarship opportunities. It is generally more affordable to study in Canada compared to the United States or UK, but options should be considered if there are financial resources available. Overall, it is important to research and consider multiple schools to find the best fit for individual preferences and goals.
AndreKatu
I am finishing up high school soon and I plan to go straight back to school, so I figure now is a good time to consider some things, such as.. What are some well known schools in Canada for physics? (I am especialy interested in anything to do with aerospace)

I'm aware of the U of Toronto and Mcgill University... but which is more well known? Google brought up a lot of good things about both.

Are there any in Western Canada?

Would it be worth it / affordable ( with two working parents able and willing to support me) to look into some major schools in the United States or in the UK?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.aerospace.utoronto.ca/

It's part of their well known EngSci program. Very difficult from what I've heard.

Going to school in Canada will almost always be more affordable than studying abroad (in your case).

No, only leave Canada if you have the finance and if it's an Ivy League School. McGill and U of T are very good schools for physics, I've heard that Nima Arkani-Hamed went to U of T (a famous physicist). Other schools that are good for physics are the University of Waterloo, University of British Columbia and the University of Alberta.

When I was applying to Canadian universities for Physics, I applied to UBC, University of Alberta and University of Victoria, at least as far as Western Canada is concerned. I ended up in Edmonton, and have no regrets thus far. If I could have my pick (unlimited finances), I would choose UBC, as it has a wider range of courses, Vancouver > Edmonton, Vancouver's weather > Edmonton's weather and UBC is also a bit more renowned (although UofA is supposedly among the top Canadian universities in Physics, and is well known, too, despite not having the brand name UBC has). But then on the other hand, UofA has some sweet scholarship opportunities, although myself being an international student, I can't really say much about the differences in possible funding for Canadian students.

So as far as studying Physics in Canada is concerned, I think UofT, UBC, McGill, and UofA are definitely up there, but other universities, such as McMaster, UWO, UofV, etc. are good for undergrad, as well, at least from what I've been told. If I were you, I would consider all of those four, and then just decide based upon how you feel about living in those cities and attending those universities. Consider the costs, as well, but if you're a domestic student and you say that your parents are willing to support you, then I figure that isn't much of a factor. Oh, and since you were asking about which of the two universities, is better known, UofT or McGill, from my ranking following I can tell you that it changes year to year, but UofT, UBC and McGill seem to crack top 100 without much trouble.

I hope this helps, if only a slight bit.

Thank you all!
I live in Alberta and ill definitely look more into the U of A... could stay at home for my undergrad. Lots of other schools to look into here as well.

Ryker said:
When I was applying to Canadian universities for Physics, I applied to UBC, University of Alberta and University of Victoria, at least as far as Western Canada is concerned. I ended up in Edmonton, and have no regrets thus far. If I could have my pick (unlimited finances), I would choose UBC, as it has a wider range of courses, Vancouver > Edmonton, Vancouver's weather > Edmonton's weather and UBC is also a bit more renowned (although UofA is supposedly among the top Canadian universities in Physics, and is well known, too, despite not having the brand name UBC has). But then on the other hand, UofA has some sweet scholarship opportunities, although myself being an international student, I can't really say much about the differences in possible funding for Canadian students.

So as far as studying Physics in Canada is concerned, I think UofT, UBC, McGill, and UofA are definitely up there, but other universities, such as McMaster, UWO, UofV, etc. are good for undergrad, as well, at least from what I've been told. If I were you, I would consider all of those four, and then just decide based upon how you feel about living in those cities and attending those universities. Consider the costs, as well, but if you're a domestic student and you say that your parents are willing to support you, then I figure that isn't much of a factor. Oh, and since you were asking about which of the two universities, is better known, UofT or McGill, from my ranking following I can tell you that it changes year to year, but UofT, UBC and McGill seem to crack top 100 without much trouble.

I hope this helps, if only a slight bit.
Im glad to here you are enjoying it so far. Our weather is definately horrible right now, like every winter. Its a shame it wasn't milder, our campus can be really beautiful this time of year.

Our weather is definately horrible right now, like every winter.

Oh, come on, it's not even cold yet.

U of T Eng. Sci (Specialize in Physics)
McGill Physics
U of T Physics
Waterloo Physics
Queen's Engineering Physics (basically a more intense version of a physics bachelor with an option in an engineering discipline)

For aerospace, Carleton University has a very good program (slight bias).

As for choosing U of T versus McGill, neither will hurt or help you any more academically for an undergrad IMO. Just whichever one you like more you should choose.

General_Sax said:
Oh, come on, it's not even cold yet.

the truth of that statement doesn't make anything better haha

Related to What are the top physics schools in Canada for students interested in aerospace?

1. What universities in Canada offer physics programs?

Some of the top universities in Canada that offer physics programs are the University of Toronto, McGill University, University of British Columbia, University of Waterloo, and University of Alberta.

2. What is the average duration of a physics program in Canada?

The average duration of a physics program in Canada is four years for an undergraduate degree and two years for a master's degree. A PhD in physics typically takes around four to six years to complete.

3. Are there any specialized areas of physics offered in Canadian universities?

Yes, many Canadian universities offer specialized areas of physics such as astrophysics, quantum physics, biophysics, and condensed matter physics. Students can choose to specialize in these areas during their graduate studies.

4. What are the job prospects for physics graduates in Canada?

Physics graduates in Canada have a wide range of job prospects, including research positions in academia and industry, teaching positions, and roles in technology, finance, and healthcare sectors. The demand for skilled physicists in Canada is expected to continue to grow in the coming years.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for physics students in Canada?

Yes, there are several scholarships and financial aid options available for physics students in Canada. These include merit-based scholarships, need-based grants, and research assistantships. Students can also apply for external scholarships and funding opportunities offered by organizations and government agencies.