What are the tension forces in a suspended mass system?

In summary, tension force is a pulling force that is exerted on an object when it is hung or stretched by a rope, cable, or other type of connector. In a suspended mass, tension force holds the mass up against the force of gravity and is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. Factors such as weight, angle, and material affect tension force in a suspended mass. While other forces may act on a suspended mass, tension force is the primary force responsible for keeping it suspended. Tension force can be calculated using the equation T = mg, assuming the mass is in equilibrium.
pbele21

Homework Statement

the question is this,
in the figure, find t1,t2, t3, and t4; if Fgrav=80N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the instructor added 2 more stings and I'm really confused where to start on doing free body diagram. hope you guys can help me.. :(

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 278
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw free body diagrams for where the ropes meet.

thank you for the reply. i got it already. :) my real weakness is doing this free body diagram. thanks again.

Related to What are the tension forces in a suspended mass system?

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a pulling force that is exerted on an object when it is hung or stretched by a rope, cable, or other type of connector.

2. How does tension force work in a suspended mass?

In a suspended mass, tension force is responsible for holding the mass up against the force of gravity. The tension force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the weight of the mass, ensuring that the mass remains in equilibrium.

3. What factors affect the tension force in a suspended mass?

The tension force in a suspended mass is affected by the weight of the mass, the angle at which the mass is suspended, and the strength and stiffness of the material used to suspend the mass.

4. Is tension force the only force acting on a suspended mass?

No, there may be other forces acting on the suspended mass, such as gravity, friction, and air resistance. However, tension force is the primary force that keeps the mass suspended.

5. How is tension force calculated in a suspended mass system?

Tension force can be calculated using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth). This equation assumes that the mass is in equilibrium, with the tension force balancing out the weight of the mass.