What Are the Surrogate Number Congruences for Moduli Other Than Its Factors?

• Thread starter numbthenoob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between an odd target number (T) and an odd number (m) greater than 1 in terms of congruences. The formula states that if T is congruent to zero mod m, then (T-1)/2 is congruent to (m-1)/2 mod m, and vice-versa. The conversation also provides several examples of this formula in action. The question is then posed about the congruences of T for moduli other than its factors, specifically in the examples where 35 is congruent to 2 mod 3 and 17 is congruent to 2 mod 3. The expert explains that in mod arithmetic, fractions are not allowed and everything must
numbthenoob
Let T represent an odd target number to be factored. Let m represent any odd number > 1.

If T is congruent to zero mod m, (T-1)/2 is congruent to (m-1)/2 mod m, and vice-versa.

For example

T
35 = 0 mod 5, 17 = 2 mod 5
77 = 0 mod 7, 38 = 3 mod 7
77 = 0 mod 11, 38 = 5 mod 11
47 = 0 mod 47, 23 = 23 mod 47
81 = 0 mod 3, 40 = 1 mod 3
81 = 0 mod 9, 40 = 4 mod 9
81 = 0 mod 27, 40 = 13 mod 27

and so on...

It's easy to see why; for any odd number divisible by another odd number, the halfway point through the dividend is going to correspond to the halfway point through the divisor's middle length.

My question is, what's up with the target number's congruences for moduli other than its factors?

35 = 2 mod 3, 17 = 2 mod 3

2 is one more than (3-1)/2, so wouldn't you expect 35 to be congruent to 1 mod 3? I would, I mean, it's necessarily congruent to zero when 17 is congruent to a number that's zero more than (m-1)/2...so, what am I missing?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi numbthenoob! :smile:

mod 5: 35 = 0, so 34 = 0-1 = 5-1 = 4, so 17 = (5-1)/2

mod 3: 35 = 2, so 34 = 2-1 = 1, so 17 = (2-1)/2 = 2

mod 11: 35 = 2, so 34 = 2-1 = 1, so 17 = (2-1)/2 = 6

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply.

Would you mind elaborating a little more on your remarks? I'm not seeing how (2-1)/2 equals 2 for mod 3 and 6 for mod 11. Doesn't it equal one half?

Or are you saying that in order to derive a remainder for m for 2x+1 from x, you double the remainder m leaves for x and add one?

i.e.
35 = 8 mod 9

because 17 = 8 mod 9
and 8*2 = 16, which is congruent to 7 mod 9
therefore 34 = 7 mod 9 and 34+1 = 7+1 mod 9

Is this what you were getting at and/or the correct understanding of how these remainders relate to one another?

Thanks, and sorry for being so dense.

hi numbthenoob! :smile:
numbthenoob said:
Would you mind elaborating a little more on your remarks? I'm not seeing how (2-1)/2 equals 2 for mod 3 and 6 for mod 11. Doesn't it equal one half?

you're not allowed fractions in mod arithmetic …

everything is whole numbers

so in mod 10, for example, 2x8 = 6, 3x8 = 4, 4x8 =2 and so on :wink:

and in mod 3, 2x2 = 1, so 1/2 = 2

and in mod 11, 2x6 = 1, so 1/2 = 6 :smile:

Oh, okay. Awesome, thanks.

Related to What Are the Surrogate Number Congruences for Moduli Other Than Its Factors?

1. What is a surrogate number?

A surrogate number is a number that can be used to replace another number in a mathematical expression without changing the value of the expression. This allows for simplification of the expression and can be useful in solving equations.

2. Why is factoring a surrogate number important?

Factoring a surrogate number is important because it allows for easier manipulation of equations and simplification of expressions. It can also help in solving complex problems and understanding the relationships between different numbers in an equation.

3. How do you factor a surrogate number?

To factor a surrogate number, you need to find all the factors of the number and then group them in a way that allows for simplification of the expression. This can involve using common factors or the distributive property.

4. Can a surrogate number have more than one factorization?

Yes, a surrogate number can have more than one factorization. This is because there are different ways to group the factors of a number, and each grouping can lead to a different factorization of the surrogate number.

5. What are some real-world applications of factoring a surrogate number?

Factoring a surrogate number is commonly used in areas such as cryptography, where it is important to find the factors of large numbers to break codes. It is also used in finance and economics, where it can help in solving equations and understanding relationships between variables.