Factorization & Congruence to 4: Proven or Researched?

In summary, if a number is congruent to 1 mod 4 and is expressed as the product of two factors, the difference between those factors will always be congruent to 0 mod 4; and if the number is congruent to 3 mod 4 the difference between two factors is congruent to 2 mod 4.
numbthenoob
Hi,

Can anyone confirm for me whether it has been proven that:

if a number is congruent to 1 mod 4 and is expressed as the product of two factors, the difference between those factors will always be congruent to 0 mod 4; and that if the number is congruent to 3 mod 4 the difference between two factors is congruent to 2 mod 4.

If it has been proven, or I suppose even researched, what do I google to read up on it?

I can't find a counterexample and I can't figure out why it is and it's driving me nuts. Why does 4 have this predictive property and other divisors don't?

Thanks much.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of ab==1 Mod 4, we need only consider the cases. If a==2 or b==2, then the product can not be congruent to one. So in the remaining cases, all that is possible is that a==b and both are congruent to 1 or 3. It's an easy problem.

So you are saying it's because 4 is a small number with a limited number of cases that just happen to work out that way? I.e., no larger number has the same property because it's too large? Is this property for 4 related to it being even? Square? A power of two? Or is there no general theory on what limitations congruences place on factors?

Sorry to be so thick.

You can prove similar properties about any number you like. Semiprimes congruent to 1 mod 6 are the product of two numbers that are 5 mod 6, or they are the product of two numbers that are 1 mod 6; either way, the difference of their factors is 0 mod 6. Semiprimes congruent to 5 mod 6 are the product of a number that is 5 mod 6 and a number that is 1 mod 6, so their difference is 4 mod 6.

Thanks CR, that's a little more on point for what I was straining to get at in my clumsy awkward way...so each divisor has its own set of properties which may or may not yield clues about what factors it can have...interesting.

Yes.

To anticipate the next question: yes, with enough of these you could CRT the results together and find the factor. No, this isn't anywhere close to practical except for tiny numbers.

Ok, thanks for your insight. Now that I know what relationships to look for, I'm confident that if I dink around with these numbers enough, I'll be able to find them. :-)

Related to Factorization & Congruence to 4: Proven or Researched?

1. What is factorization?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its smaller factors. This involves finding the numbers that can divide into the original number without any remainder.

2. How is factorization related to congruence to 4?

Congruence to 4 is a property of numbers that means they have a remainder of 0, 1, 2, or 3 when divided by 4. Factorization can help determine this property by breaking down the number into its factors and checking if any of them are divisible by 4.

3. Is factorization and congruence to 4 proven or researched?

Both factorization and congruence to 4 have been extensively researched by mathematicians and have been proven to be valid concepts in mathematics.

4. What is the importance of factorization and congruence to 4 in mathematics?

Factorization and congruence to 4 are important concepts in number theory and play a significant role in solving mathematical problems involving prime numbers, divisibility, and modular arithmetic.

5. Can factorization and congruence to 4 be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, factorization and congruence to 4 have many practical applications, such as in cryptography, computer science, and engineering. They are also used in everyday situations, such as finding the least common multiple of two numbers or simplifying fractions.