What are the Stress and Strain in each rod?

In summary, the problem involves a copper rod and a steel rod joined together with different cross sectional areas and subjected to an equal and opposite force. The objective is to find the length of the steel rod if the elongation of both the steel and copper rods are equal, as well as the stress and strain in each rod. To solve this problem, Young's Modulus can be used.
thetruth1988

Homework Statement

A copper rod of 2 meters is joined to a steel rod with length (ls) and with cross sectional area of 1.0cm2 and 2.0cm2 respectively the compound rod is subjected to an equal and opposite force of 3x104N.
Find:
a) The length of the steel rod if the elongation of the steel rod is equal.
b) What are the stress and strain in each rod?

Homework Equations

The modulus of copper : 1.0 x 10'' N/m2
The modulus of steel : 2.0 x 10'' N/m2

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to be honest guys.., I have not tried any solutions because I really don't know where to start. please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi thetruth1988! Welcome to PF! :wink:
thetruth1988 said:
A copper rod of 2 meters is joined to a steel rod with length (ls) and with cross sectional area of 1.0cm2 and 2.0cm2 respectively the compound rod is subjected to an equal and opposite force of 3x104N.
Find:
a) The length of the steel rod if the elongation of the steel rod is equal.
b) What are the stress and strain in each rod?

(Do you mean "if the elongation of the steel rod and the copper rod are equal" ?)

Hint: what is the elongation of the copper rod under an equal and opposite force of 3x104N ?

Then what is the elongation of the steel rod under the same equal and opposite force, if the length of the steel rod is L ? :smile:

F_steel = (E_steel A/L) ΔL_steel

omg! sorry.., I really don't know what to do.. :'( can you help me out with an equation?

This looks like a question were you should use Youngs Modulus. Look that up and use it; it should solve the problem...

Related to What are the Stress and Strain in each rod?

1. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is the force applied to a material, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the material. Stress is a measure of the internal forces within a material, while strain is a measure of the amount of deformation that occurs.

2. How do you calculate stress and strain?

Stress is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. Strain is calculated by dividing the change in length of the material by its original length.

3. What are the types of stress and strain that can occur in a material?

The three main types of stress are tensile stress (caused by pulling forces), compressive stress (caused by pushing forces), and shear stress (caused by forces acting parallel to each other). The two main types of strain are tensile strain (elongation of the material) and compressive strain (contraction of the material).

4. How does stress and strain affect the mechanical properties of a material?

Stress and strain can affect the strength, stiffness, and ductility of a material. Higher levels of stress can cause a material to deform or break, while higher levels of strain can cause a material to become permanently deformed or fail.

5. What factors can influence the stress and strain in a material?

The stress and strain in a material can be influenced by factors such as the type of material, its composition and structure, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the temperature and environment in which the material is used.