What are the significant differences between graduate and undergraduate research?

In summary, undergraduate research at UCSC is required for both physics and robotics engineering majors. It differs from graduate research in that it is guided by a professor and focused on smaller side projects. Graduate research is more independent and involves a lot of time implementing and testing ideas. Undergrad research typically involves working on existing ideas rather than coming up with original ones. It is possible to do an original project as an undergrad, but it is rare. The main difference between undergrad and graduate research is the level of responsibility. It is possible to create one thesis that overlaps both applied physics and robotics engineering, but it would require approval from both advisors.
camjohn
I understand that undergraduate research is big at UCSC and that it is required for both of my prospective majors (physics and robotics engineering). What I'm trying to figure out is the specific differences between undergraduate and graduate research. I would guess that undergraduate reseach is basically just doing busy work for professors with their own potential theses and project ideas in my mind, but I've been told that's wrong; undergraduate students actually explore their own projects in my mind. My questions are: how is this different from postdoctoral work? How much time does it take? Is it essentially equivalent to taking another class? Could I potentially create one thesis for both applied physics and robotics engineering? (Given that they're related fields)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Undergraduate research can be something original that isn't just part of your professor's research, but it's usually not based on an original idea you had. Most students simply don't know enough about the field to come up with an original idea and then work through it with a minimum of support. That's more like graduate research. Undergrad research is strongly guided by your professor, from picking out the topic to assigning research papers to read to telling you what to do every step of the way if you need it. Postdoctoral work, which comes after graduate school, is often completely independent.

In my experience, the undergrad students tend to pursue the little side-projects that profs/grad students thought of. One of the projects I've done was something that had already been done, but not by that particular research group. They wanted someone to read up on it and test some things so they could implement it in their research.

I'm still an undergrad myself, but it seems that the amount of time you spend coming up with research ideas as a grad student is nothing when compared to the time you spend implementing, debugging, testing, and writing about them. I'm guessing it's more important to get experience with all that stuff.

I would say the biggest difference between undergrad and graduate research is that you will be held responsible for graduate research, while if you don't make any progress but give a full effort as an undergrad, that's fine.

You will also get a lot more hand holding as an undergrad. This is good, because you will still have a lot to learn. As a grad student (and more as a post doc) you're just thrown in the deep end of the pool.

Also, researching an original idea takes a long, long, time. It is possible to do something original as an undergrad, but it's rare.

And performing work for professors isn't "busy work". It's research. Seriously, research is like 5% dreaming up ideas and 95% reading papers, analyzing data, writing code, setting up experiments, and the like.

Likes First Light
OK this is basically what I thought it was. Could I potentially do one thesis for both majors? Research that would overlap both applied physics and robotics engineering?

camjohn said:
OK this is basically what I thought it was. Could I potentially do one thesis for both majors? Research that would overlap both applied physics and robotics engineering?

You can do whatever you get your advisors to agree to. Not trying to be glib, but that's how things work. I don't think it would be a problem to find a research problem that would satisfy both advisors, but you will have to ask them.

Related to What are the significant differences between graduate and undergraduate research?

1. What is the main goal of graduate research compared to undergraduate research?

The main goal of graduate research is to contribute new knowledge to the existing body of research in a particular field. This is achieved through conducting original research, analyzing data, and presenting findings in a formal thesis or dissertation. Undergraduate research, on the other hand, focuses on developing research skills and understanding existing knowledge in a particular field.

2. How does the scope of graduate research differ from undergraduate research?

The scope of graduate research is typically more narrow and specialized compared to undergraduate research. Graduate students often focus on a specific research topic or question, while undergraduate research may cover a broader range of topics within a particular field.

3. What are the expectations for the level of independence in graduate research compared to undergraduate research?

Graduate research requires a higher level of independence compared to undergraduate research. Graduate students are expected to design and conduct their own research projects, while undergraduate students may work on research projects under the guidance of a faculty advisor.

4. How does the depth of analysis in graduate research differ from undergraduate research?

The depth of analysis in graduate research is typically more rigorous and advanced compared to undergraduate research. Graduate students are expected to use more complex research methods and techniques to analyze data and draw conclusions, while undergraduate research may involve more basic data analysis.

5. What are the potential outcomes of graduate research compared to undergraduate research?

The potential outcomes of graduate research include publishing findings in academic journals, presenting at conferences, and contributing to the advancement of knowledge in the field. Undergraduate research may lead to presenting at undergraduate conferences or publishing in undergraduate journals, but the focus is typically on developing research skills rather than making significant contributions to the field.