What are the Real Numbers c and d for Inverting Complex Numbers?

In summary, a complex number is a number that has a real part and an imaginary part, written in the form a + bi. To add or subtract complex numbers, you add or subtract the real parts separately and then the imaginary parts separately. The conjugate of a complex number is the same as the original but with the opposite sign for the imaginary part. To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method. The complex conjugate theorem states that when you multiply a complex number by its conjugate, the result is a real number.
TheDoorsOfMe

Homework Statement

Suppose a and b are real numbers, not both 0. Find real numbers c and d, such that

[tex]\frac{1}{a + bi}[/tex] = [tex]c + di[/tex]

Homework Equations

I said that:

[tex] 1 = (c + di) (a + bi) [/tex]

[tex] 1 = (ac - bd) + (bc + ad)i [/tex]

so if b = 0 then
[tex]\frac{1}{a} = c + di[/tex]

The rationale holds for if a = 0. Since this is equal to a real number 1/a can I just say that c and d are real numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to understand that if
x + yj = a + bj
then
x = a
and
y = b

2)
Multiply left side by a-bj / a-bj

Related to What are the Real Numbers c and d for Inverting Complex Numbers?

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that has two parts - a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with the letter i representing the square root of -1.

2. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts separately and then add or subtract the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 4i) + (2 + 5i) = (3 + 2) + (4 + 5)i = 5 + 9i.

3. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi. For example, the conjugate of 5 + 2i is 5 - 2i. This means that the conjugate of a complex number has the same real part but the opposite sign for the imaginary part.

4. How do you multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last). For example, (2 + 3i)(4 + 5i) = 2(4) + 2(5i) + 3i(4) + 3i(5i) = 8 + 10i + 12i + 15i^2 = 8 + 22i - 15 = -7 + 22i.

5. What is the complex conjugate theorem?

The complex conjugate theorem states that when you multiply a complex number by its conjugate, the result is a real number. In other words, (a + bi)(a - bi) = a^2 - b^2i^2 = a^2 + b^2, where i^2 = -1.