What Are the Qualifications for a Marine Engineer in Western Australia?

• Thread starter LT Judd
  • Start date
In summary, to become a marine engineer in Western Australia, one must have a degree in marine engineering or a related field, as well as a Class 1 Marine Engineer Certificate of Competency. They must also have relevant work experience, pass a medical exam, and obtain necessary safety training certifications. Additionally, they must be familiar with international regulations and have strong technical, problem-solving, and communication skills.
LT Judd
How did you find PF?
Came across PF while googling for answers to problems.
Hi, I am located in Western Australia.I am a former merchant ship engineer. I have over 20 years experience in the engine room of large seagoing vessels including steam turbine LNG carriers, bulk carriers with 2 stroke slow speed diesel. Operating and maintaining propulsion equipment and all auxiliaries including aircon and refrig, power gen, Cargo and ballast pumps, deck cranes etc. Also 5 years exp as class surveyor carrying out safety and structural inspections on sips and barges and overseeing repairs. Currently working in the office of an oil and gas producer as tech support.However I am not a degree qualified engineer and am currently working on masters of engineering practice by special online course for persons in my situation. I look forward to participating in these forums.

Likes berkeman, Janosh89 and anorlunda
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's a lot of practical engineering experience there.

Welcome to PF!

Please take some time to read our guidelines as we are a highly moderated site and there are some topics that we choose not to discuss mostly to do with fringe science.