What are the partial limits of cos(pi*n/3)?

In summary, when looking at the sequence cos(pi*n/3), there are four partial limits (-1, 1, 0, and 1/sqrt(2)). Similarly, for the sequence n*cos(n*pi/4), there is a finite limit of 0 and potentially infinite partial limits. The possible values for this sequence are +-1/sqrt(2), 0, and 1.
peripatein
Hi,
Trying to find all partial limits of cos(pi*n/3), I separated it into:
a_3k -> -1
a_6k -> 1

Is this a valid approach? Are there any other partial limits?

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially you are looking at n= 3 (mod 6) and n= 0 (mod 6), which is a very good idea, but those two are not the only possibilities. Suppose n is equal 1 (mod 6). That is, n= 1+ 6k. In that case, [itex]\pi n/3= \pi/3+ 2\pi k[/itex]. Now, [itex]cos(A+ B)= cos(A)cos(B)- sin(A)sin(B)[/itex] so [itex]cos(\pi/3+ 2\pi k)= cos(\pi/3)cos(2\pi k)+ sun(\pi/3)sin(2\pi k)= cos(\pi/3)[/itex] for all k.

Similarly, look at n= 2+ 6k, n= 4+ 6k, and n= 5+ 6k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Hence this sequence has only four partial limits. Is that correct?

And what about the sequence ncos(pi*n/4). I believe it has only two partial limits, converging to +-infinity. Is that true?

In all sequences cos(n*pi/m), constant integer m, each value that the sequence can take occurs infinitely often. So every value is the limit of a subsequence. So, yes, for m=3 there are 4 values.
For n*cos(n*pi/4), what are the possible values in the sequence?

Would it be incorrect to say that n*cos(n*pi/4) has merely two partial limits (+-infinity) as cos(n*pi/4) is bounded whereas n isn't?

peripatein said:
Would it be incorrect to say that n*cos(n*pi/4) has merely two partial limits (+-infinity)
I could be wrong, but I wouldn't have thought infinity qualified as the limit of a sequence. It isn't a number, so you can't converge to it.
OTOH, there is one finite limit for this sequence. What are all the possible values of cos(n*pi/4) ?

Infinity, plus and minus, could well serve as PL's in this case, as thus the question is formulated in the textbook. In any case, the possible values are +-1/sqrt(2), 0 and 1. But that multiplied by infinity would either be infinity or, in the case of 0, undetermined, would it not?

peripatein said:
Infinity, plus and minus, could well serve as PL's in this case, as thus the question is formulated in the textbook. In any case, the possible values are +-1/sqrt(2), 0 and 1. But that multiplied by infinity would either be infinity or, in the case of 0, undetermined, would it not?
No, you're not multiplying cos(n*pi/4) by infinity, you're taking a limit. In particular, what is the limit of n*cos(n*pi/4) for the subsequence n = 4k+2?

I still don't see why it wouldn't be infinity. Could you help me see it?

peripatein said:
I still don't see why it wouldn't be infinity. Could you help me see it?
(4k+2)cos((4k+2)pi/4) = (4k+2)cos(pi*k+pi/2) = 0 for all k. Therefore the sequence converges to 0.

Thank you. Are there are any other partial limits?

You tell us.

Related to What are the partial limits of cos(pi*n/3)?

1. What are partial limits?

Partial limits refer to the values that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value or values. In this case, the partial limits of cos(pi*n/3) refer to the values that the cosine function approaches as n approaches an integer multiple of 3.

2. How do you find the partial limits of cos(pi*n/3)?

The partial limits of cos(pi*n/3) can be found by plugging in different values for n that approach an integer multiple of 3, such as n=1, n=2, n=4, etc. and observing the corresponding outputs for the cosine function.

3. Why are the partial limits of cos(pi*n/3) important?

The partial limits of cos(pi*n/3) are important because they provide information about the behavior of the cosine function near certain values of n. This can help in understanding the overall behavior and properties of the function.

4. Can the partial limits of cos(pi*n/3) be calculated for non-integer values of n?

Yes, the partial limits of cos(pi*n/3) can be calculated for non-integer values of n. However, for non-integer values of n, the partial limits will not necessarily represent the actual values of the cosine function at those points, but rather the values that the function approaches as n approaches those points.

5. How can the partial limits of cos(pi*n/3) be used in real-world applications?

The partial limits of cos(pi*n/3) can be used in real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can help in analyzing and predicting the behavior of certain systems or phenomena that involve periodic functions, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and oscillating systems.