What are the names of these "F" arrows in these three diagrams?

• Thread starter Benjamin_harsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagrams
In summary, the names of these "F" arrows in the three diagrams are " resultant force ", " equilibrium ", and " first diagram ".
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
What is the names of this "F" arrows in this three diagrams?
Relevant Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Benjamin_harsh said:
Problem Statement: What is the names of this "F" arrows in this three diagrams?
Relevant Equations: What is the names of this "F" arrows in this three diagrams?

View attachment 243532

Where do these diagrams come from? Are they connected with a homework question you have been given? If so, please post the entire question exactly as given to you.

Are you asking only about the item labelled F or about all three: F, Fxand Fy? At a guess, the top left diagram illustrates a force F and its components in the x and y directions.

Are they connected with a homework question you have been given? - Not a homework.

I am asking only about the item labelled F .

Third diagram is resultant force. Second diagram is equilibrium. first diagram is confusing?

Benjamin_harsh said:
Are they connected with a homework question you have been given? - Not a homework.

I am asking only about the item labelled F .

Third diagram is resultant force. Second diagram is equilibrium. first diagram is confusing?
In the third diagram, F does not represent the resultant of Fx and Fy. The F in the first diagram would do that, except that the F arrow should be a bit longer.
You can also describe the first diagram as resolving a force F into x and y components. A force is the resultant of its components.

If the second diagram is supposed to show equilibrium then it is confusing to label them as F, Fx and Fy. They are just any three forces that could be in equilibrium. As drawn, they are not, since the vertical height of Fy is clearly more than the vertical height of F.
If you change F to -F and define Fx and Fy as the x and y components of the force F (not shown) then it will illustrate equilibrium.

Edit: the third diagram does not illustrate anything useful I can think of. It looks like a mistake.
Edit 2: on further thoughts, the third diagram would illustrate Fx being the resultant of F and Fy, but then the notation is extremely confusing.

haruspex said:
F arrow should be a bit longer.

How? Show me in the diagram. I didn't understand bit longer thing.

Benjamin_harsh said:
How? Show me in the diagram. I didn't understand bit longer thing.
Take a copy of the Fx vector and put its base at the tip of the Fy vector. The tip of that copy should coincide with the tip of the resultant of Fx and Fy.

haruspex said:
Take...and Fy.

Please draw the figure and post it here.

Better to watch this video.

Another way to tell you verbally how to draw the resultant of Fx and Fy (top left fig):

Imagine Fx and Fy being 2 sides of a rectangle. Now add the other 2 sides of the rectangle (each equal length and parallel to Fx and Fy). Now draw a vector that is a diagonal of the rectangle starting from the origin of the xy axes. (I decided it would be easy to take your figure and add to it - turned out to be not so easy - for me.)

One thought I had about the top 2 figures: Cross product? is this the result of applying the right-hand rule? I now doubt that idea because you seem to be just starting to learn about vectors and cross products are more advanced.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Related to What are the names of these "F" arrows in these three diagrams?

1. What do the "F" arrows in these diagrams represent?

The "F" arrows in these diagrams represent the force acting on an object. This force can be due to gravity, friction, or any other external influence.

2. How many "F" arrows are there in each diagram?

There are three "F" arrows in each diagram, one for each direction of force (x, y, and z).

3. Are the "F" arrows in all three diagrams the same?

No, the "F" arrows in each diagram represent the force acting on the object in that specific direction. Therefore, they may vary in magnitude and direction.

4. What do the different colors of the "F" arrows indicate?

The different colors of the "F" arrows represent the different types of forces acting on the object. For example, blue may represent the force of gravity while red may represent the force of friction.

5. Can the "F" arrows be negative?

Yes, the "F" arrows can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction to the positive direction shown in the diagram.