What are the multiple solutions for sin x = 2/pi?

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary, to solve for x in an equation like sin x = 2/pi, you need to use inverse trigonometric functions, specifically the inverse sine function (sin^-1). This will give you the value of x in radians. This equation cannot be solved algebraically and has infinitely many solutions, including the principal solution of x = sin^-1(2/pi). To check the correctness of your solution, you can substitute it into the original equation and see if it is satisfied.
BuBbLeS01
Sin x = 2/pi

How do you solve for x?? I am drawing a blank!

I did sin-1 ( 2/pi) = 0.69 but I need another value cause I am also supposed to get 2.451?

Physics news on Phys.org
sin(x) is periodic with period 2*pi. There are many solutions to sin(x)=2/pi. 2.451 is one of the 'other ones' outside of the range of sin^(-1). Draw a graph.

Related to What are the multiple solutions for sin x = 2/pi?

1. What is the general process for solving an equation like sin x = 2/pi?

To solve for x in an equation like sin x = 2/pi, you need to use inverse trigonometric functions. In this case, you would use the inverse sine function (sin^-1) to isolate x on one side of the equation. This will give you the value of x in radians.

2. Can this equation be solved algebraically?

No, this equation cannot be solved algebraically. Trigonometric equations like sin x = 2/pi require the use of inverse trigonometric functions to solve for x.

3. What is the solution to sin x = 2/pi?

The solution to sin x = 2/pi is x = sin^-1(2/pi), which is approximately 0.6435 radians or 36.87 degrees.

4. Are there any other solutions to this equation?

Yes, there are an infinite number of solutions to this equation. In addition to the principal solution, which is x = sin^-1(2/pi), there are infinitely many other solutions that can be found by adding or subtracting multiples of 2π to the principal solution.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting the value of x into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. In this case, you can substitute 0.6435 radians or 36.87 degrees into sin x = 2/pi and see if the equation holds true.