What Are the Most Plausible Theories for Time Travel?

In summary: Time machine - theoretically possible according to special relativity, but practically difficult to achieve. Scientific evidence is limited at this point.In summary, the speaker is working on a summer project on the physics of time travel and is seeking feedback and recommendations for reading materials and a questionnaire about the likelihood of various theories of time travel. They also share their own opinions on the plausibility and scientific evidence of theories such as parallel universes, faster-than-light travel, higher dimension travel, black holes/wormholes, and time machines. The speaker also mentions a lecture on the physics of impossible things and discusses the possibility and limitations of time travel.
mitch_glinton
Hi,

I am currently working on a project over the summer, entitled 'The physics of time travel'. One of the first things I need is feedback from academics and students involved in physics. Are there any texts/books I should be reading? Also, it would be great if anyone has the time to fill in my questionnaire on the likelyhood of the theories.

Thanks

my email is mitch_glinton@hotmail.co.uk

1. Please rank 1-6 (1 being most), the plausability of the following theories allowing time travel...

Parrelell Universes
Faster than light travel
Higher dimension travel
Black Holes/Worm Holes
Time machine
Other (please specify)

2. Please rank 1-6 (1 being most), the amount of scientific evidence of the following theories allowing time travel...

Parrelell Universes
Faster than light travel
Higher dimension travel
Black Holes/Worm Holes
Time machine
Other (please specify)

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
These are my own opinions :

Plausability or evidence:

Parallel Universes - Undetectable, so not arguable.
Faster-than-light travel - 6
Higher-dimension travel - 6
Black Holes/Worm Holes - 1 for black, WH Undetecable, so not arguable.
Time machine - According to SR, 1 for going in the future, 6 for going into the past. Practically though, 6 for both.

One thing to understand is that you get "problems" regardless of the mechanism in use.

I would wager that causalty reversal is impossible on a deep level, e.g. some kind of axiom. So it might be hard to prove other than that laws of physics always seem to conspire against it. Perhaps something like LQG will end up being based on organizing principles of a single direction of cause-and-effect as a primitive concept that makes our spacetime emerge.

Parrelell [sic] Universes - plausible

Faster than light travel - fundamentally impossible

Higher dimension travel - no, the "higher dimensions" are curled up so you end up going nowhere in the normal three.

Black Holes/Worm Holes - warping of spacetime is allowed as a solution of GR, but it might be ruled out via other mechanisms.

for reaching out to the academic community for feedback on your project. I am always excited to see people exploring the concept of time travel and its potential implications.

In terms of texts and books, I would highly recommend "The Physics of Time Travel" by Paul Davies and "Time Travel: A History" by James Gleick. These books provide a comprehensive overview of the scientific theories and concepts related to time travel.

As for your questionnaire, I am happy to participate and provide my input. However, it is important to note that time travel is still a highly debated and speculative topic in the scientific community. While there are various theories and hypotheses, there is currently no concrete evidence or consensus on the plausibility of time travel.

To answer your first question, it is difficult to rank the plausibility of the theories you have listed as they all have different levels of scientific support and potential challenges. Parallel universes, for example, are a popular concept in theoretical physics, but there is still much research to be done in order to fully understand their existence and potential for time travel. On the other hand, time machines are purely theoretical and have not been proven to be physically possible.

In terms of scientific evidence, again, the theories you have listed vary in their level of support. Black holes and wormholes, for example, have been studied extensively and have a strong foundation in physics. However, the concept of higher dimension travel is still largely theoretical and has yet to be proven.

Overall, while the concept of time travel is fascinating and has captured the imagination of many, it is important to approach it with a critical and scientific mindset. I wish you all the best with your project and hope that it sparks further interest and discussion in this intriguing field.

Related to What Are the Most Plausible Theories for Time Travel?

1. How is time travel possible?

The concept of time travel is based on the theory of relativity, which states that time can be affected by gravity and velocity. According to this theory, if an object could reach speeds close to the speed of light or enter a region with strong gravitational forces, time would slow down for that object. This would allow the object to travel to the future or past relative to its starting point.

2. Is time travel currently possible?

At this point in time, time travel is not possible through known scientific methods. While the theory of relativity allows for the possibility of time travel, we do not have the technology or understanding to achieve it. However, scientists continue to research and explore the concept, so it is possible that in the future, time travel could become a reality.

3. What are the paradoxes associated with time travel?

One of the most well-known paradoxes is the grandfather paradox, which raises the question of what would happen if someone were to travel back in time and prevent their own birth. This paradox and others like it challenge the idea of causality and the concept of a fixed timeline. Other paradoxes include the bootstrap paradox and the information paradox.

4. Can time travel affect the present?

According to the theory of relativity, time travel can only occur within the same timeline. This means that any changes made in the past would already be a part of the present. However, some theories suggest the existence of parallel universes, where time travel could potentially affect the present in a different universe.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with time travel?

The possibility of time travel raises ethical concerns, such as the potential for altering the course of history or causing harm to individuals in the past. There is also the question of whether changing the past could have unintended consequences for the present and future. These ethical concerns are often explored in science fiction, but they also prompt important discussions among scientists and philosophers.