What are the issues when using Solar Cells in Ocean Environments?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the practicality of using solar power in ocean-based systems such as buoys. The discussion covers topics such as the effectiveness of extracting power from solar panels, practical issues such as facing the cells towards the sun and potential obstructions like salt accumulation or bird droppings, and the reliability and efficiency of using solar power in ocean environments. The participants also mention relevant resources and studies, including a relevant post on a forum and a paper that discusses the use of solar power in autonomous buoys. The overall question being addressed is the net efficiency loss when using solar cells on the ocean surface compared to on land, and the reliability of using solar power in ocean environments.
elect_eng
This question would perhaps be an ocean engineering question, but since we don't have a forum for that, I thought mechanical engineers would have some idea about this. My background is electrical engineering, and I have little knowledge about the mechanical issues when operating at the surface in the ocean.

I am wondering how practical it is to use solar power in automomous, ocean-based systems like buoys. In particular, how much effective power can be extracted from a given surface area? Also, I'm wondering what practical issues there are. My questions are not related to the electrical side of things since I have a good idea of the operation and efficiency of solar cells; and, what I don't know, I can readily look up. The things that seem harder for me to figure out are the limitations due to difficulty of facing the cells toward the sun, and the likelyhood of salt-accumulation or bird "stuff" blocking the light. Also, I wonder about stresses in storm conditions, and how a system would survive for extended periods.

Can anyone address some of these issues, or any others issues I may not have thought of? Basically, I'm trying to figure out what net efficiency loss there is when using solar cells on the ocean surface compared to on land; and, for what period of time, the resulting efficiency could be maintained.

Engineering news on Phys.org
These guys make some very good ones http://www.carmanah.com/Applications/Marine.aspx
I was talking to one of their engineers at a trade show once about all the work they did to test the panels batteries for that environment.

Thank you both for the information. The solar powered boat is very interesting and the solar panel information is useful if I get to the point of needing to do my own tests.

I was able to track down one paper (see attachment) that provided some hints about the information I'm searching for. See the section on "Solar Power System" if interested.

Does anyone have any more informaton like this? According to this paper, the use of solar power is very straightforward on an automonous buoy if some basic techniques are used. I'm curious if this is the general consensus, or has anyone experienced serious reliability and efficiency limitations in ocean applications?

Attachments

• seatech.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 260

Related to What are the issues when using Solar Cells in Ocean Environments?

1. What are the main challenges of using solar cells in ocean environments?

The main challenges of using solar cells in ocean environments include corrosion, biofouling, and maintenance difficulties. The harsh saltwater and constant exposure to moisture can lead to corrosion of the solar cells, reducing their efficiency and lifespan. Biofouling, which is the accumulation of marine organisms on the surface of the solar cells, can also decrease their performance. Additionally, accessing and maintaining the solar cells in ocean environments can be challenging and costly.

2. How do solar cells perform in low light or cloudy conditions in ocean environments?

Solar cells require sunlight to generate electricity, so their performance will significantly decrease in low light or cloudy conditions. In ocean environments, where the water surface may be choppy and turbulent, the amount of sunlight reaching the solar cells can also be reduced. This can be mitigated by using higher efficiency solar cells or incorporating energy storage systems to store excess energy generated during peak sunlight hours.

3. How do ocean currents and waves affect the performance of solar cells?

Ocean currents and waves can have a significant impact on the performance of solar cells in ocean environments. Strong currents and waves can cause physical damage to the solar cells, reducing their efficiency and lifespan. They can also create shading effects, which can decrease the amount of sunlight reaching the solar cells. Proper placement and anchoring of the solar cells can help minimize these effects.

4. Are there any environmental concerns associated with using solar cells in ocean environments?

There are some environmental concerns associated with using solar cells in ocean environments, such as the potential for marine life entanglement or disruption of natural habitats. However, compared to other forms of renewable energy, solar cells have relatively low environmental impacts. Proper installation and maintenance of the solar cells can also help mitigate these concerns.

5. Can solar cells be used in all types of ocean environments?

Solar cells can be used in various ocean environments, including nearshore, offshore, and deep-sea environments. However, the specific challenges and considerations may differ depending on the location. For example, nearshore environments may have higher levels of biofouling, while offshore environments may experience stronger waves and currents. Proper research and planning are necessary to determine the feasibility and suitability of using solar cells in a specific ocean environment.