What Are the Inverse Images of Various Sets Under the Function f(x)=x^2?

In summary, the function f(x)=x^2 does not have an inverse function. However, the inverse image of a set T for f is defined as f^-1(T)={x| f(x)∈T}. For (a), f^-1(9)={-3,3}. For (b), f^-1[4,9)=[2,3)∪(-3,2]. For (c), f^-1[-4,9]=[-3,3].
hammonjj
Homework Statement :
Define f: ℝ→ℝ by f(x)=x^2. Find f^-1(T) for each of the following:

(a) T = {9}
(b) T = [4,9)
(c) T = [-4,9]

The attempt at a solution:
So, the inverse of f should be f^-1(T)=+/-√(x). Therefor:

(a) f^-1(9)= +/- 3
(b) f^-1(4)= +/- 2, f^-1(5)= +/- √(5), f^-1(6)= +/- √(6), f^-1(7)= +/- √(7), f^-1(8)= +/- 2√(2)
(c) Assuming I did the above correct, I have no idea how to do this part because clearly √(x) is not going to have a real solution from [-4,-1]

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!
James

Physics news on Phys.org
hammonjj said:
Homework Statement :
Define f: ℝ→ℝ by f(x)=x^2. Find f^-1(T) for each of the following:

(a) T = {9}
(b) T = [4,9)
(c) T = [-4,9]

The attempt at a solution:
So, the inverse of f should be f^-1(T)=+/-√(x). Therefor:

(a) f^-1(9)= +/- 3
(b) f^-1(4)= +/- 2, f^-1(5)= +/- √(5), f^-1(6)= +/- √(6), f^-1(7)= +/- √(7), f^-1(8)= +/- 2√(2)
(c) Assuming I did the above correct, I have no idea how to do this part because clearly √(x) is not going to have a real solution from [-4,-1]

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!
James
The function f(x) = x2, having the domain, , does not have an inverse function.

What f -1(T) refers to is called the "inverse image" of set T for the function f.

Does your textbook have a definition for the inverse image, f -1(T), where T is a set?

SammyS said:
The function f(x) = x2, having the domain, , does not have an inverse function.

What f -1(T) refers to is called the "inverse image" of set T for the function f.

Does your textbook have a definition for the inverse image, f -1(T), where T is a set?

They have one, but it's about 2 sentences long. If I'm understanding correctly:

C [itex]\subseteq[/itex] A

So,

f: C → f(C) and, therefor

f^-1: f(C) → f^-1(C)

I might be abusing notation a bit on this, so please correct me.

What I don't understand is how exactly do I find f^-1 if it is not the inverse function?

The very, very first proof I had to present before a class in graduate school had to do with "[itex]f^{-1}(X)[/itex]" for X a set. I did the whole proof assuming that f was invertible! Very embarassing!

hamonjj, these are sets- otherwise "[itex]f^{-1}[/itex]" for [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] wouldn't make sense.

The definition of [itex]f^{-1}(A)[/itex] for A a set is:
[itex]f^{1}(A)= \{ x| f(x)\in A\}[/itex]. In particular, [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] of a set is a set. Yes, f(3)= 9 and f(-3)= 9 so that [itex]f^{-1}(9)= \{-3, 3\}[/itex]- be sure to write the answer as a set.

Why are you looking at integers only? We are talking about a function from R to R, not integers. f(2)= 4 and f(3)= 9. And if 2< x< 3 then 4< x^2< 9. f of any number between 2 and 3 is in this set- the interval [2, 3) is in this set (do you see why 3 is NOT in the set?). But it is also true that f(-2)= 4 and f(-3)= 9 so the interval (-3, 2] is in the set. [itex]f^{-1}[4, 9)= [2, 3)\cup (-3, 2][/itex].

For (c), there are NO (real) x such that f(x)< 0 so we can ignore the "-4" part. But any number from -3 to 3 will have square between 0 and 9 and so between -4 and 9.

Related to What Are the Inverse Images of Various Sets Under the Function f(x)=x^2?

What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" the original function. In other words, if a function f(x) maps a set of inputs to a set of outputs, then its inverse function f^{-1}(x) maps the outputs back to the inputs.

How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you need to switch the roles of x and y in the original function. Then, solve for y in terms of x. The resulting equation will be the inverse function.

What is the domain and range of an inverse function?

The domain of an inverse function is the range of the original function, and the range of an inverse function is the domain of the original function.

Are all functions invertible?

No, not all functions are invertible. For a function to be invertible, each input must have a unique output. If there are two or more inputs that produce the same output, the function is not invertible.

What is the relationship between the graph of a function and its inverse?

The graph of a function and its inverse are reflections of each other over the line y = x. This means that the x and y coordinates of each point on the graph are swapped to create the other graph.