What are the ideals of the matrix ring?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, Example 6 in Section 4.2 of Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules" discusses a matrix ring $\begin{pmatrix} \mathbb{Q} & \mathbb{R} \\ 0 & \mathbb{R} \end{pmatrix}$ and how it is right Artinian but not left Artinian. The ring is isomorphic to $\Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$, and any right or left ideal must be of the form $H \oplus \{0\} \oplus K_1 \oplus K_2$, where $
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book: Rings and Their Modules and am currently focused on Section 4.2 Noetherian and Artinian Modules ... ...

I need help with fully understanding Example 6 "Right Artinian but not Left Artinian" ... in Section 4.2 ... ...

Example 6 reads as follows:
View attachment 5971My problem is how to prove, explicitly and formally, that the matrix ring:\(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} \mathbb{Q} & \mathbb{R} \\ 0 & \mathbb{R} \end{pmatrix}\)Also, a related problem is that I am trying to determine the form of all the ideals of the above matrix ring ... but without success ... help with this issue would be appreciated as well ...
Reading around this problem leads me to believe that showing the above matrix ring to be right artinian but not left artinian would involve showing that all descending chains of right ideals terminate ... but that this does not hold for descending chains of left ideals ... ...
Note that the conditions regarding descending chains of right (left) ideals for right (left) Artinian rings are not given in the definition of right (left) Artinian rings by Bland, but I believe Bland's definition implies them ... is that correct? ... see Bland's definition of Artinian rings below ...
Bland's definition of Artinian rings and modules is as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5972Hope someone can help,

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a start:

Note that as an abelian group, our ring is (isomorphic) to:

$\Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$.

So, first, convince yourself that any right (or left) ideal must be of the form:

$H \oplus \{0\} \oplus K_1 \oplus K_2$, where $H$ is an additive subgroup of $\Bbb Q$, and $K_1,K_2$ are additive subgroups of $\Bbb R$.

Now, if we have a(n additive) subgroup $I$ and we call our ring $R$, for any $x \in I$ and $r \in R$, we must have $xr \in I$, for $I$ to be a right ideal.

Let's look at the multiplication, and how this plays out:

$\begin{pmatrix}x_1&x_2\\0&x_3\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}r_1&r_2\\0&r_3\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}x_1r_1&x_1r_2+x_2r_3\\0&x_3r_3\end{pmatrix}$

Looking at the bottom right entry, it should be clear that we must have $K_2$ be an ideal of $\Bbb R$. Since $\Bbb R$ is a field, we have either two choices: $x_3 = 0$, or $x_3$ is a unit (of $\Bbb R$, that is: non-zero).

Let's suppose that $x_3$ is a unit. Now if $x_1$ is also a unit, then the matrix with the $x$'s is invertible (since it has non-zero determinant), and in fact is a unit in our ring since it has the inverse in our ring of:

$\begin{pmatrix}\dfrac{1}{x_1}&-\dfrac{x_2}{x_1x_3}\\0&\dfrac{1}{x_3}\end{pmatrix}$

So if $I$ has an element where $x_1,x_3$ are both units, then $I = R$.

Thus for any PROPER ideal, we must have $x_1 = 0$, or $x_3 = 0$. Investigate these.

Deveno said:
Here is a start:

So, first, convince yourself that any right (or left) ideal must be of the form:

$H \oplus \{0\} \oplus K_1 \oplus K_2$, where $H$ is an additive subgroup of $\Bbb Q$, and $K_1,K_2$ are additive subgroups of $\Bbb R$.

Now, if we have a(n additive) subgroup $I$ and we call our ring $R$, for any $x \in I$ and $r \in R$, we must have $xr \in I$, for $I$ to be a right ideal.

$\begin{pmatrix}x_1&x_2\\0&x_3\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}r_1&r_2\\0&r_3\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}x_1r_1&x_1r_2+x_2r_3\\0&x_3r_3\end{pmatrix}$

Looking at the bottom right entry, it should be clear that we must have $K_2$ be an ideal of $\Bbb R$. Since $\Bbb R$ is a field, we have either two choices: $x_3 = 0$, or $x_3$ is a unit (of $\Bbb R$, that is: non-zero).

Let's suppose that $x_3$ is a unit. Now if $x_1$ is also a unit, then the matrix with the $x$'s is invertible (since it has non-zero determinant), and in fact is a unit in our ring since it has the inverse in our ring of:

$\begin{pmatrix}\dfrac{1}{x_1}&-\dfrac{x_2}{x_1x_3}\\0&\dfrac{1}{x_3}\end{pmatrix}$

Thus for any PROPER ideal, we must have $x_1 = 0$, or $x_3 = 0$. Investigate these.

Thanks for the help, Deveno ...

Just reflecting on what you have written ...

Peter

Deveno said:
Here is a start:

Thanks again for your help, Deveno ... but just need some further help in clarifying some things ... hope you can help ...Question 1

You write:

" ... ... Note that , our ring is (isomorphic) to:

$\Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$. ... ... "I am currently struggling somewhat with this ... can you demonstrate why/how

\(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} \mathbb{Q} & \mathbb{R} \\ 0 & \mathbb{R} \end{pmatrix}\) \(\displaystyle \cong \) $\Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$Sorry if I am being a bit slow here ... ...
Question 2

I am also having problems seeing exactly why any right (or left) ideal must be of the form:

$H \oplus \{0\} \oplus K_1 \oplus K_2$, where $H$ is an additive subgroup of $\Bbb Q$, and $K_1,K_2$ are additive subgroups of $\Bbb R$.Can you please help in this matter as well ...Thanks again for your help,

Peter

Peter said:
Thanks again for your help, Deveno ... but just need some further help in clarifying some things ... hope you can help ...Question 1

You write:

" ... ... Note that , our ring is (isomorphic) to:

$\Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$. ... ... "I am currently struggling somewhat with this ... can you demonstrate why/how

\(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} \mathbb{Q} & \mathbb{R} \\ 0 & \mathbb{R} \end{pmatrix}\) \(\displaystyle \cong \) $\Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$Sorry if I am being a bit slow here ... ...
Question 2

I am also having problems seeing exactly why any right (or left) ideal must be of the form:

$H \oplus \{0\} \oplus K_1 \oplus K_2$, where $H$ is an additive subgroup of $\Bbb Q$, and $K_1,K_2$ are additive subgroups of $\Bbb R$.Can you please help in this matter as well ...Thanks again for your help,

Peter
We have the abelian group isomorphism:

$\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\0&c\end{pmatrix} \mapsto (a,0,b,c)$

Now let's say $A$ is an abelian subgroup of $(R,+)$, where we consider $R$ as $\Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$.

Let $H' = \{(a,0,0,0) \in A\}$.

By closure, we have $(a,0,0,0) + (a',0,0,0) = (a+a',0,0,0) \in A$, and this is clearly an element of $H'$. So we have closure in $H'$.

Since $A$ is a subgroup, for any $(a,0,0,0) \in A$, we have $-(a,0,0,0) = (-a,0,0,0) \in A$, and this is also in $H'$. Thus $H'$ contains all additive inverses, and is a subgroup of $A$.

The isomorphism above (along with the canonical projection $(a,0,0,0) \mapsto a$) induces an abelian group monomorphism $H' \to \Bbb Q$. In this way, we see $H = \text{im}(H')$ must be a subgroup of $\Bbb Q$.

We can carry out similar constructions for $K_1$ and $K_2$, so we see that:

$A = H' + K_1' + K_2' \cong H \oplus\{0\} \oplus K_1 \oplus K_2$

because $(a,0,b,c) = (a,0,0,0) + (0,0,b,0) + (0,0,0,c)$.

Deveno said:

Now let's say $A$ is an abelian subgroup of $(R,+)$, where we consider $R$ as $\Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$.

By closure, we have $(a,0,0,0) + (a',0,0,0) = (a+a',0,0,0) \in A$, and this is clearly an element of $H'$. So we have closure in $H'$.

Since $A$ is a subgroup, for any $(a,0,0,0) \in A$, we have $-(a,0,0,0) = (-a,0,0,0) \in A$, and this is also in $H'$. Thus $H'$ contains all additive inverses, and is a subgroup of $A$.

The isomorphism above (along with the canonical projection $(a,0,0,0) \mapsto a$) induces an abelian group monomorphism $H' \to \Bbb Q$. In this way, we see $H = \text{im}(H')$ must be a subgroup of $\Bbb Q$.

Thanks so much Deveno ... REALLY helpful ...

Peter

Deveno said:

Hi Deveno,

I am still reflecting on the nature of the abelian group isomorphism (and further ring isomorphism)

\(\displaystyle S =\) \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} \mathbb{Q} & \mathbb{R} \\ 0 & \mathbb{R} \end{pmatrix}\)\(\displaystyle \ \cong \ \) $\Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$Now, if we want to talk about ideals, surely we need to extend the abelian group isomorphism to a ring isomorphism ... ...So ... thinking ... if we are given two elements of the ring \(\displaystyle S\) , say ...

\(\displaystyle
\begin{pmatrix} s_1 & s_2 \\ 0 & s_3 \end{pmatrix}\) and \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} r_1 & r_2 \\ 0 & r_3 \end{pmatrix}\)... ... then we have ...\(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} s_1 & s_2 \\ 0 & s_3 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} r_1 & r_2 \\ 0 & r_3 \end{pmatrix}
\)

\(\displaystyle = \begin{pmatrix} s_1r_1 & s_1 r_2 + s_2 r_3 \\ 0 & s_3 r_3 \end{pmatrix}
\)Now ... if we want a ring isomorphism $S \cong \Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$where we must define multiplication in $\Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$ as follows:Given two elements \(\displaystyle (s_1, 0, s_2, s_3) , (r_1, 0, r_2, r_3) \in\) $\Bbb Q \oplus \{0\} \oplus \Bbb R \oplus \Bbb R$ we have:\(\displaystyle (s_1, 0, s_2, s_3) \bullet (r_1, 0, r_2, r_3) = (s_1r_1, 0, s_1 r_2 + s_2 r_3, s_3 r_3)\)Is this correct?

Does such a multiplication (different from the usual componentwise multiplication in direct sums and products) for the ring S affect the fact that any right (or left) ideal must be of the form:

$H \oplus \{0\} \oplus K_1 \oplus K_2$, where $H$ is an additive subgroup of $\Bbb Q$, and $K_1,K_2$ are additive subgroups of $\Bbb R$.Can you comment and help ...

I am still puzzled as to how to proceed to show that S is right artinian but not left artinian ...

Can you please help further ...

Peter

Related to What are the ideals of the matrix ring?

1. What is a noncommutative Artinian ring?

A noncommutative Artinian ring is a type of ring in abstract algebra where multiplication is not commutative (order matters) and the ring has a finite descending chain of ideals. This means that the ring has a finite number of "layers" where each layer is contained within the previous one.

2. How is a noncommutative Artinian ring different from a commutative Artinian ring?

A commutative Artinian ring has the property that multiplication is commutative (order doesn't matter). This means that the ring has a simpler structure and is easier to study. In contrast, a noncommutative Artinian ring has a more complex structure due to the non-commutativity of multiplication.

3. What is the significance of noncommutative Artinian rings in mathematics?

Noncommutative Artinian rings play an important role in various areas of mathematics such as representation theory, algebraic geometry, and non-commutative algebraic geometry. They also have applications in physics and computer science.

4. Can you give an example of a noncommutative Artinian ring?

One example of a noncommutative Artinian ring is the ring of 2x2 matrices over a finite field. The multiplication of matrices is non-commutative, and the ring has a finite descending chain of ideals (e.g., the set of all matrices with determinant 0 is a proper ideal contained in the set of all matrices with determinant 0 or 1, which is a proper ideal contained in the entire ring).

5. How are noncommutative Artinian rings used in real-world applications?

Noncommutative Artinian rings have applications in coding theory, cryptography, and error-correcting codes. They are also used in quantum mechanics and quantum information theory. Additionally, noncommutative Artinian rings are used in the study of finite groups and their representations.