What Are the Ideals and Units in These Factor Rings?

• Thread starter logarithmic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, the elements of R[x]/<x^2 - x> are of the form r(x) + <x^2 - x>, where r(x) is of degree 1 or 0. To find the ideals, we can check if a polynomial is an ideal by repeatedly applying <x^2 - x> to reduce the degree of x. In R = C[x,y]/<xy - 1>, any element of C is a unit, and we can find other units by finding polynomials p(x,y) and q(x,y) such that p(x,y)q(x,y) = 1 + <xy-1>.
logarithmic
The first question is to find the ideals of R[x]/<x^2 - x>. I can see that the elements of the factor ring are of the form p(x) + <x^2 - x>, where p(x) is in R[x], which can be simplified to q(x)(x^2 - x) + r(x) + <x^2 - x> = r(x) + <x^2 - x>, where r(x) is of degree 1 or 0.

Now I'm pretty much stuck. Can we say anything more specific about r(x)? i.e. is it true that R[x]/<x^2 - x> = {ax + b + <x^2 - x> | a,b in R}? So now how do I find the ideals? It's easy to check if something's an ideal though.

My other question is to find the units in R = C[x,y]/<xy - 1>. So after writing out some definitions, this reduces to finding polynomials p(x,y) and q(x,y) not in <xy - 1>, such that p(x,y)q(x,y) = 1 (I think). So any element of C is a unit of R, what else is there? There may be some theorem that help simplify something. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Now I'm pretty much stuck. Can we say anything more specific about r(x)? i.e. is it true that R[x]/<x^2 - x> = {ax + b + <x^2 - x> | a,b in R}? So now how do I find the ideals? It's easy to check if something's an ideal though.

That's right. Intuitively when you mod out by <x2-x> you're saying that x and x2 should be treated the same (because x2-x is now equal to zero). So given any polynomial, you can repeatedly apply this to reduce, for example x5 to x, or any other power of x.

Is R here a generic ring, or the real numbers?

My other question is to find the units in R = C[x,y]/<xy - 1>. So after writing out some definitions, this reduces to finding polynomials p(x,y) and q(x,y) not in <xy - 1>, such that p(x,y)q(x,y) = 1 (I think). So any element of C is a unit of R, what else is there? There may be some theorem that help simplify something. Any ideas?

You need p(x,y,)q(x,y)+<xy-1>=1+<xy-1> which is a bit different. For example, if p=x and q=y

(x+<xy-1>)(y+<xy-1>)=(xy+<xy-1>)=(1+<xy-1>)

so x and y are both units

Related to What Are the Ideals and Units in These Factor Rings?

1. What is a factor ring?

A factor ring, also known as a quotient ring, is a mathematical structure that is formed by dividing a ring by one of its ideals. It is similar to how integers are divided in modular arithmetic.

2. What is the significance of factor rings?

Factor rings are important in abstract algebra as they allow us to study properties of a ring by considering its quotient structure. They also help us understand the structure of larger rings by breaking them down into simpler components.

3. How do you compute a factor ring?

To compute a factor ring, we first need to identify the ideal we want to divide by. Then, we use the elements of the ideal to generate the cosets of the quotient ring. Finally, we define the operations of addition and multiplication on the cosets to obtain the factor ring.

4. Can a factor ring be a field?

Yes, a factor ring can be a field if and only if the ideal we divide by is a maximal ideal. In this case, the factor ring will have no non-trivial ideals, making it a field.

5. How are factor rings related to homomorphisms?

Factor rings and homomorphisms are closely related in that the kernel of a homomorphism is an ideal, and the image of a homomorphism is a factor ring. This relationship allows us to use homomorphisms to study factor rings and vice versa.