What are the equations of state for air at high pressures and temperatures?

In summary, the equation of state that kandelabr is looking for is a more accurate Van der Waals equation of state. Unfortunately, data found in Perry's Chemical Engineer's Handbook does not match up with the Redlich-Kwong equation. However, interpolating linearly or quadratically may yield a better fit.
kandelabr
Hello,

I am looking for a real gas equation of state for air, if possible a MATLAB script. I am working on pressures up to 500 bar and to 500°C.

The thing is that I not only need a p-v-T relation, I also need to calculate work done by compressed air and heat that is involved in warming/cooling at these pressures and temperatures.

I know the TEST apps, but I need the equations (or tables) so I can write my own MATLAB script.

I also found the document that is attached to this post (I downloaded it for free two days ago, but now I can't find the link o.0 ), but I don't understand a thing. Why Helmholz free energy? And about the equation for Cp/R on page 6, why not simply Cp? Is R constant or not? Why?

Thanks,
kandelabr

Engineering news on Phys.org
The attached file is here, don't know why it wasn't in the first post. (?)

Attachments

• real gas air equation.pdf
    449.1 KB · Views: 1,712
kandelabr said:
Hello,

I am looking for a real gas equation of state for air, if possible a MATLAB script. I am working on pressures up to 500 bar and to 500°C.

The thing is that I not only need a p-v-T relation, I also need to calculate work done by compressed air and heat that is involved in warming/cooling at these pressures and temperatures.

I know the TEST apps, but I need the equations (or tables) so I can write my own MATLAB script.

I also found the document that is attached to this post (I downloaded it for free two days ago, but now I can't find the link o.0 ), but I don't understand a thing. Why Helmholz free energy? And about the equation for Cp/R on page 6, why not simply Cp? Is R constant or not? Why?

Thanks,
kandelabr

There are quite a few equations of state that can be used to describe fluids in the gas phase. A very simple, although not to accurate one is Van der Waals. A more accurate one is Redlich-Kwong. The latter gives good results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlich–Kwong_equation_of_state

CS

I found some useful data in Perry's Chemical Engineer's Handbook. Now that I have compared that data to Redlich-Kwong equation, the equation seems to miss for 30 bar or even more.

I decided program Matlab to use tables and interpolate, I guess this will still be more accurate than equations of state - it's curious these equations only deal with near-critical point, but I have heard no word of high pressures and high temperatures.

There's only one thing I wonder - if I interpolate linearly of quadratically - what should be more accurate? Will the complication pay off?

Thanks for the answers.

Just in case you might be interested, I drew a surface with pressure (1-500 bar) on x axis, temperature (240-500 K) on y and specific volumes on z axis and tried to fit a surface. I didn't work well because specific volumes are so much much different at 1 and 500 bar (so much much is a very scientific term in this case).
When I did the same, but with compressibility factor instead of volume, a polynomial surface function did very well. I guess this might yield a kind of equation-of-state for this very case. (?)

Related to What are the equations of state for air at high pressures and temperatures?

1. What is the ideal gas law and how does it differ from real gas equations?

The ideal gas law is a simplified equation used to describe the behavior of gases, while real gas equations take into account the deviations from ideal gas behavior. The ideal gas law assumes that gases have no volume and do not interact with each other, while real gas equations consider factors such as intermolecular forces and the volume of gas particles.

2. How is the behavior of air described by real gas equations?

The behavior of air can be described using real gas equations, such as the Van der Waals equation or the Peng-Robinson equation. These equations take into account the temperature, pressure, and volume of air, as well as the attractive and repulsive forces between air molecules. They can also account for the compressibility of air at high pressures.

3. What are the units for the variables in real gas equations?

The units for the variables in real gas equations vary depending on the specific equation being used. However, some common units include temperature in Kelvin (K), pressure in atmospheres (atm) or Pascals (Pa), and volume in liters (L) or cubic meters (m^3).

4. How accurate are real gas equations in predicting the behavior of air?

Real gas equations can provide reasonably accurate predictions for the behavior of air under most conditions, but they may not be accurate for all gases or at extreme temperatures and pressures. These equations are constantly being refined and updated to improve their accuracy.

5. How are real gas equations used in practical applications?

Real gas equations are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of gas storage tanks and pipelines, the production of industrial gases, and the study of atmospheric conditions. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as fuel cells and gas turbines.