What are the charges on these three capacitors?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equivalent capacitance in a series circuit and the charge on each capacitor. The answer of 6.9 microCoulomb is correct for all three capacitors. The conversation also mentions the flow of current through a capacitor, which is not typical except in abnormal situations like dielectric breakdown.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

adHYTna.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, they're in series, so I found the equivalent capacitance to be about 0.57 microFarad. And I have technically gotten the correct answer according to the back of the text. The question in the text clearly asks for the charge on each capacitor, but merely gives the answer as 6.9 microCoulomb. Now, I got that answer too just using the formulae available. But my complete answer was that the top capacitor would have +6.9 microCoulomb, the middle capacitor no charge, and the bottom capacitor would have - 6.9 microCoulomb. Is that correct? Or do they all just share the 6.9 microCoulomb charge separation?

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
They all acquire the same charge of 6.86 μC. Check: Determine the voltage across each capacitor given this charge on each. What do those voltages sum to?

Consider that the components are in series, so that any current that flows must be identical for each device in the loop. If some charge Q moves onto the first capacitor's top plate, then Q must leave its bottom plate and be pushed onto the next capacitor in line, and so on.

Likes kostoglotov
gneill said:
They all acquire the same charge of 6.86 μC. Check: Determine the voltage across each capacitor given this charge on each. What do those voltages sum to?

Consider that the components are in series, so that any current that flows must be identical for each device in the loop. If some charge Q moves onto the first capacitor's top plate, then Q must leave its bottom plate and be pushed onto the next capacitor in line, and so on.

So current does flow through a capacitor then? I've read online that people can't agree whether it does or not; that it blocks DC current, which seems to be what is depicted in that picture above.

kostoglotov said:
So current does flow through a capacitor then? I've read online that people can't agree whether it does or not; that it blocks DC current, which seems to be what is depicted in that picture above.
Current does not flow through a cap but in the surrounding wires until there is a stable distribution of charge. Where did you read otherwise? You should not trust such a source.

Current WILL flow through a cap if you get dielectric breakdown and thus arcing , but that's an abnormal situation.

Likes kostoglotov

Related to What are the charges on these three capacitors?

What are the charges on these three capacitors?

The charges on capacitors depend on the capacitance of the capacitor, as well as the voltage applied to it. Without more information about the specific capacitors in question, it is impossible to determine the exact charges.

Are the charges on these capacitors positive or negative?

The charges on capacitors can be either positive or negative, depending on the direction of the electric field. Generally, the charge on the positive plate of the capacitor will be positive, while the charge on the negative plate will be negative.

How do I measure the charges on these capacitors?

The charge on a capacitor can be measured by using a voltmeter to measure the voltage across the capacitor, and then using the known capacitance value to calculate the charge using the formula Q=CV.

Do the charges on the capacitors change over time?

The charges on capacitors can change over time if the capacitor is connected to a circuit with a changing voltage source. However, if the voltage source is constant, the charge on the capacitor will remain constant as well.

Can the charges on capacitors be negative?

Yes, the charges on capacitors can be negative. This can occur if the voltage applied to the capacitor is negative, or if the capacitor is connected to a circuit with a negative voltage source.