What are the challenges of working underground in the coal mining industry?

• Thread starter Mechnique
  • Start date
In summary, working underground in the coal mining industry presents numerous challenges, including the risk of cave-ins and collapses, exposure to harmful gases and dust, and potential accidents due to heavy machinery and equipment. The physically demanding nature of the work also takes a toll on miners' health, leading to high rates of musculoskeletal injuries and respiratory diseases. Additionally, the unpredictable and dangerous working conditions make it difficult for miners to plan for the future and can cause mental and emotional stress. Despite these challenges, the demand for coal continues to drive this industry, leaving miners with little choice but to endure the difficult and often dangerous conditions underground.
Mechnique
Hi All,
My name is Phil I am a retired degree mechanical engineer and have over 40 years experience in underground coal mining.
If you think it is "tough" in your job try working underground 400 metres vertical cover and 4 klm's in from the surface transport AND you have to move "Heaven and Earth" to get a welding/cutting permit. (Australia) It was and is a challenge. My interests at the moment are landspeed vehicles namely streamliners which are the pointy things that run at Bonneville and Our Lake Gairner in South Australia.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Mechnique said:
If you think it is "tough" in your job try working underground 400 metres vertical cover and 4 klm's in from the surface transport AND you have to move "Heaven and Earth" to get a welding/cutting permit.

Yikes! Glad the Earth decided not to teach you a once-in-a-lifetime lesson!

Hi, Thanks for the welcome , Earth has on several occasions and it is quite scary.

Back