What are the challenges of solving partial derivative problems in mathematics?

In summary: Two homework problems I can't get. In summary, you can integrate the function or use the fundamental theorem of calculus.
tandoorichicken
Two homework problems I can't get.

(1) The question is find the first partial derivatives of the function. The problem is that the function in this problem is
[tex] f(x, y) = \int_{y}^{x} \cos{t^2} dt [/tex]
The main obstacle is getting past this function. I can't integrate it and neither can my calculator. Is there a way to do this problem without integrating, or how do you integrate this function?

(2) The voltage V in a simple electrical circuit is slowly decreasing as the battery wears out. The resistance R is slowly increasing as the resistor heats up. Use Ohm's Law, V = IR, to find how the current I is changing at the moment when R = 400[itex]\Omega[/itex], I = 0.08 A, [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex] = -0.01 V/s, and [itex]\frac{dR}{dt}[/itex] = 0.03 [itex]\Omega[/itex]/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.How about applying the fundamental theorem of calculus...??Both parts of it.

2.Differentiate wrt time the Ohm's law and plug in tht #-s.

Daniel.

tandoorichicken said:
Two homework problems I can't get.

(1) The question is find the first partial derivatives of the function. The problem is that the function in this problem is
The main obstacle is getting past this function. I can't integrate it and neither can my calculator. Is there a way to do this problem without integrating, or how do you integrate this function?

(2) The voltage V in a simple electrical circuit is slowly decreasing as the battery wears out. The resistance R is slowly increasing as the resistor heats up. Use Ohm's Law, V = IR, to find how the current I is changing at the moment when R = 400[itex]\Omega[/itex], I = 0.08 A, [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex] = -0.01 V/s, and [itex]\frac{dR}{dt}[/itex] = 0.03 [itex]\Omega[/itex]/s.

{#1}

NO integration needed here. Use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus:

[tex] \frac {\partial f(x,y)} {\partial x} = \cos{x^2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {\partial f(x,y)} {\partial y} = -\cos{y^2} [/tex]

Incidentally, in the more general case, we have:

[tex] f(x, y) = \int_{y}^{g(x)} h(t) dt [/tex]

[tex] \frac {\partial f(x,y)} {\partial x} = h(g(x))*g'(x) [/tex]

{#2}

V = I*R
-----> I = V/R
Using the Quotient Rule:
(dI/dt) = {(dV/dt)*R - V*(dR/dt)}/(R^2)
(dI/dt) = {(dV/dt)*R - (I*R)*(dR/dt)}/(R^2)
(dI/dt) = {(dV/dt) - (I)*(dR/dt)}/(R)

Placing given values into the above equation, we get:
(dI/dt) = {(-0.01 V/s) - (0.08 A)*(0.03 ohm/s)}/(400 ohm)
(dI/dt) = (-3.1)x10^(-5) Amps/sec
~

Last edited:
Well,the general idea of this specific forum is not to solve his problems entirely,but to help him solve them by himself.
I hope u'l get it.

Daniel.

Related to What are the challenges of solving partial derivative problems in mathematics?

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical tool used in multivariate calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze how a function changes in relation to its individual variables. This is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics and economics, where multiple variables are involved.

How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you first need to identify the variable you want to differentiate with respect to. Then, treat all other variables as constants and use the standard rules of differentiation to find the derivative. The resulting derivative will be the partial derivative of the function.

What are some real-world applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have many real-world applications, such as in optimization problems, where we use them to find the maximum or minimum values of a function. They are also used in physics to calculate rates of change, and in economics to model and analyze complex systems.

Can you take a partial derivative of any function?

No, not all functions can be differentiated using partial derivatives. The function must be continuous and have well-defined partial derivatives at the point of interest. For example, functions with sharp corners or discontinuities may not have well-defined partial derivatives at those points.