What are the central pillars of classical mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of classical mechanics to explain electrodynamics and the interest in understanding the theoretical foundation of classical mechanics. The speaker mentions the lack of focus on this topic in courses on quantum mechanics and asks for assistance in finding a resource to learn more about the "central pillars" and postulates of classical mechanics.
camel_jockey
From what I have understood, electrodynamics can be completely explained using classical mechanics, i.e. by plugging in the electromagnetic force and then predicting the dynamics using classicla mechanics.

With classical mechanics being the more fundamental of these two classical theories, I am therefore interested in the theoretical foundation of classical mechanics. In courses in quantum mechanics, the professors are usually good at being specific and orderly in presenting the "central pillars" and postulates of that theory. Unfortunately, classical mechanics is taught so early that the focus lands elsewhere.

So I was wondering if someone could list them for me, or tell me exactly where in exactly which book I should go look.

Thankful for any assistance
/Camel Jockey

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried Goldstein?

Related to What are the central pillars of classical mechanics?

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation.

2. What are the central pillars of classical mechanics?

The central pillars of classical mechanics are Newton's laws of motion, the principle of conservation of energy, and the principle of least action. These principles form the foundation of classical mechanics and are used to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems.

3. How do Newton's laws of motion relate to classical mechanics?

Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws, are fundamental principles in classical mechanics. They describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its resulting motion. The third law, also known as the law of action and reaction, explains the interaction between two objects and their equal and opposite forces.

4. What is the principle of conservation of energy in classical mechanics?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. In classical mechanics, this principle is used to analyze the energy of a system and how it changes over time.

5. How does the principle of least action apply to classical mechanics?

The principle of least action states that the actual path taken by a physical system is the one that minimizes the action, which is a quantity that represents the total energy expended by the system. In classical mechanics, this principle is used to determine the most likely path that a system will take from one state to another.