What are the branches of Quantum Theory?

In summary, the branches categorized under Quantum Theory include QFT, Standard Model, Quantum Mechanics, atomic physics, solid state physics, Quantum Gravity, Quantum Information, Quantum Electrodynamics, and Chromodynamics. There is no complete quantum gravity theory and its acceptance in the science community is still uncertain, but other theories such as QED and QCD are widely accepted, with QED being one of the most experimentally confirmed theories.
Emilie.Jung
What are the branches that we can say are categorized under [Quantum Theory](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_theory)? I am thinking they are QFT, Standard Model and Quantum Mechanics. How about atomic physics and Solid state physics? Also how about Quantum Gravity and Quantum Information? Can they be also categorized there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not? I'm going to ask some people on that. I would also like to know that. But I don't see why not. But don't take my word for any thing. I'll see what Nuggatory has to say about this, If he'll respond that is.

There are also Quantum electrodynamics and chromodynamics (QED and QCD) but I'm not positive how they all link together. Loop quantum gravity seems to be likeliest contender but there is no complete quantum gravity theory that I am aware of.

jerromyjon said:
There are also Quantum electrodynamics and chromodynamics (QED and QCD) but I'm not positive how they all link together. Loop quantum gravity seems to be likeliest contender but there is no complete quantum gravity theory that I am aware of.
Are the theories accepted in the science community?

Should the theories be accepted to be categorized under Quantum Theory? Can't they only be theories as the name of the huge title suggests? @CrackerMcGinger

A quantum theory is any theory that makes use of quantum physics, so all those mentioned above are quantum theories.

CrackerMcGinger said:
Are the theories accepted in the science community?

QED and QCD certainly are. QED might be the most experimentally confirmed theory ever.

Likes CrackerMcGinger
Only the quantum gravity theories are unconfirmed.

Related to What are the branches of Quantum Theory?

What is Quantum Theory?

Quantum Theory is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

Who developed Quantum Theory?

Quantum Theory was initially developed by a group of physicists in the early 20th century, including Max Planck, Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, and Erwin Schrödinger.

What is the basic principle of Quantum Theory?

The basic principle of Quantum Theory is that energy is not continuous, but instead it exists in tiny, discrete packets called quanta. These quanta behave differently than classical particles and can exist in multiple states at the same time.

How does Quantum Theory explain the behavior of particles?

Quantum Theory explains the behavior of particles through the concept of wave-particle duality, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties depending on the situation. This explains phenomena such as the double-slit experiment and the uncertainty principle.

What are some practical applications of Quantum Theory?

Quantum Theory has many practical applications in technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.