What are the branch points for \log (z^2 + 2z + 3)?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a branch of ln(z^2 + 2z + 3) that is analytic at -1 and solving for the derivative at -1. The branch point of ln(z) is z=0 and in order to solve for the branch point, the equation z^2 + 2z + 3=0 needs to be solved. One person made a mistake in their calculation and got a different answer than Wolfram Alpha. The correct values to substitute back into the expression within the logarithm are \log(2-\sqrt{2}) and \log(2+\sqrt{2}).
Gh0stZA
Hi everyone,

Could someone please help me calculate the branch points?

Find a branch of [tex]\log (z^2 + 2z + 3)[/tex] that is analytic at -1, and compute the derivative at -1.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "branch point" of ln(z) itself is z= 0. So you need to solve [itex]z^2+ 2z+ 3= 0[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
The "branch point" of ln(z) itself is z= 0. So you need to solve [itex]z^2+ 2z+ 3= 0[/itex].

I did. My answer is [tex]-1 \pm i[/tex] but Wolfram Alpha gives it as [tex]-1 \pm \sqrt{2} i[/tex]

Well, since you don't say how you got [itex]-1\pm i[/itex], I can only say that Wolfram Alpha is correct.

I'm sorry, I made a stupid mistake with my quadratic formula. I now have the same answer as Wolfram.

So do I basically substitute the values back into the expression within the logarithm? In that case, I get [tex]\log(2-\sqrt{2})[/tex] and [tex]\log(2+\sqrt{2})[/tex]

Gh0stZA said:
I'm sorry, I made a stupid mistake with my quadratic formula. I now have the same answer as Wolfram.

So do I basically substitute the values back into the expression within the logarithm? In that case, I get [tex]\log(2-\sqrt{2})[/tex] and [tex]\log(2+\sqrt{2})[/tex]

No. You need do nothing more to identify the branch points and sides, if you back-substituted the zeros of that quadratic back into the quad, you should get zero.

Related to What are the branch points for \log (z^2 + 2z + 3)?

1. What are branch points in a scientific context?

Branch points refer to specific points in a process or system where a decision or change in direction occurs. In science, this can refer to a point in a pathway or network where different outcomes or pathways are possible.

2. How are branch points identified in scientific research?

Branch points can be identified through various methods such as experimental studies, mathematical modeling, and data analysis. Researchers look for specific patterns or changes in a system that indicate a branching point.

3. What role do branch points play in evolutionary biology?

In evolutionary biology, branch points represent points in the evolutionary tree where species diverge and new species are formed. These branch points are often identified through genetic and fossil evidence.

4. Can branch points occur in non-biological systems?

Yes, branch points can occur in non-biological systems such as in physics, chemistry, and computer science. These systems may have decision points or bifurcations that lead to different outcomes or pathways.

5. How do branch points impact decision-making in scientific research?

Branch points can have a significant impact on decision-making in scientific research as they represent critical points where a system or process can change direction or produce different outcomes. Understanding and identifying branch points can help researchers make more informed decisions and advance their research.