What are the Best U.S. Physics of Gravity Graduate Schools?

In summary: Grad school is a very important decision, and you should take your time to think about it. I think it's important to get advice from people you trust, and to do your research. After doing some research, I think I would like to study at a university that specializes in quantum gravity.
miladsfriends
Hello friends,
I am graduating in a few months with a bachelor of physics and willing to apply for graduate schools. I am very doubted about which grad school I should apply. I just know what I don't like,but how can I know what I actually like?
My main questions are the following:
What is the best US Ph.D. school in physics of gravity (or gravitation)?
How about Quantum Gravity? What's the difference between gravitation and QG?
What is the best US grad school if I want to understand, space and time, gravity, and continue what Einstein was doing?
I have found a good university in Canada, but I want one in US.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to have to be more specific. Gravitation is a very large subject, covering as I'm sure you know both classical and quantum regimes of research. Any university strong in one is not necessarily strong in the other.

Also, what Einstein was doing was done -- 100 years ago. The programme of finding a consistent gravitational theory still exists in some regard, but by and large it seems Einstein got it right and that's that. There are some people talking about Brans-Dicke and TeVeS, but I wouldn't advise trying to go into this as your sole research focus.

Of course you can still study Einstein's theory, from either a numerical or mathematical perspective. Also as you know there are efforts to quantize the theory, either through a canonical approach (think LQG), or strings. Furthermore, even apart from developing a full theory of quantum gravity, there is lots of work being done without such a full theory (think holography and quantum information relating to black holes, or quantum cosmology).

So what are you interested in??

Here's the US News rankings for GR/Cosmoogy:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ols/top-science-schools/astrophysics-rankings

if you really put stock in that. Use the drop box to see the high energy physics rankings. In any case, you should really just apply to schools at your level that have a several faculty members doing research that you think might appeal to you so you don't have to choose a specific subject right away.

Thank you for your replies. I think I'm highly interested in Quantum Gravity. See, I really enjoy understanding and discovering fundamentals of physics.
Here is something else which might sound funny to you. I have a really difficult time choosing what to do for my grad school since I have to do that my whole life. For example, machine learning with physical and mathematical approach also interests me. If you are a Ph.D., etc, how did you choose your path in academic life?

I understand your concerns about choosing the best graduate school for your interests in physics of gravity. It is important to do thorough research and carefully consider your options before making a decision. I would recommend starting by looking at the rankings of graduate programs in physics, as this can give you a general idea of the top schools in the field. Additionally, you can look into the research areas and faculty at each school to see which align with your interests in gravity and quantum gravity.

In terms of specific schools, some of the top universities in the US for physics of gravity include Caltech, MIT, Princeton, and Stanford. These schools have strong research programs and faculty in this area and would be excellent choices for pursuing a Ph.D. in this field.

The difference between gravitation and quantum gravity is that gravitation refers to the classical theory of gravity, as described by Newton's laws or Einstein's theory of general relativity. On the other hand, quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics with the principles of general relativity. It is a highly complex and ongoing area of research, and there are not many graduate programs specifically focused on quantum gravity. However, some of the top schools mentioned above have research groups and faculty studying this topic.

If you are interested in understanding space and time, gravity, and continuing the work of Einstein, I would recommend looking into programs that have a strong focus on general relativity and gravitational physics. This could include schools like Princeton, which has a renowned gravity group and a history of groundbreaking research in this area.

Ultimately, the best graduate school for you will depend on your specific interests and goals. I encourage you to thoroughly research and consider all your options before making a decision. Good luck with your application process!

Related to What are the Best U.S. Physics of Gravity Graduate Schools?

1. What are the criteria for determining the best physics of gravity graduate schools in the U.S.?

The criteria for determining the best physics of gravity graduate schools in the U.S. include the program's reputation and ranking, faculty expertise and research opportunities, curriculum and course offerings, facilities and resources, and job placement and career prospects for graduates.

2. Which universities have the top physics of gravity graduate programs in the U.S.?

Some of the top universities with physics of gravity graduate programs in the U.S. include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Princeton University, Harvard University, and University of California, Berkeley.

3. Are there any specific specializations within the physics of gravity field that these graduate schools excel in?

Yes, some of the top graduate schools for physics of gravity in the U.S. have specializations in areas such as cosmology, astrophysics, theoretical physics, and quantum gravity. It is important to research the faculty and curriculum of each program to determine which specialization aligns with your interests.

4. What are the advantages of attending a top physics of gravity graduate school in the U.S.?

Attending a top physics of gravity graduate school in the U.S. can provide access to renowned faculty and research opportunities, state-of-the-art facilities and resources, a rigorous and comprehensive curriculum, and a strong network of alumni and industry connections. It can also enhance career prospects and opportunities for further academic pursuits.

5. How do I determine which physics of gravity graduate school is the best fit for me?

To determine which physics of gravity graduate school is the best fit for you, consider factors such as your research interests, career goals, location preferences, and financial considerations. It is also important to thoroughly research each program and consider factors such as faculty expertise, curriculum, and alumni success to determine which school aligns best with your goals and aspirations.