What Are the Best Textbooks for Learning About Supersonic Flight Engineering?

In summary, flight engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the design, construction, and operation of aircraft using principles from various disciplines such as aerodynamics and materials science. Books on flight engineering cover topics such as aircraft design, aerodynamics, propulsion systems, and aviation safety. While books are a good source of information, practical experience is also important in this field. Some recommended books for beginners in flight engineering include "Introduction to Flight" and "Aerodynamics for Engineers". There are also books that focus on specific types of aircraft, such as commercial airliners and military jets, which can be recommended by a flight engineering instructor or professional.
zoki85
Hi,new member here.
I'm interested in various aspects of supersonic flight,and transitional flight from subsonic to supersonic,plane and jet design engineering problems,and problems dealing with aviation sound interaction with enviroment.
What textbooks and readings you can recommend me?
I have background in calculus,took courses in thermodynamics and I'm familiar with mechanics of subsonic flight.

Thank you for advice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No advicer ?:cry:

Hello and welcome to our community! It's great to hear that you have an interest in flight engineering and supersonic flight. There are many great textbooks and readings that can help you deepen your knowledge on these topics. Here are a few recommendations:

1. "Introduction to Flight" by John D. Anderson Jr. - This is a comprehensive textbook that covers all aspects of flight, including supersonic flight and aircraft design engineering.

2. "Supersonic and Hypersonic Aerodynamics" by John D. Anderson Jr. - This book specifically focuses on supersonic and hypersonic flight, providing a detailed understanding of the aerodynamics involved.

3. "Aerodynamics for Engineering Students" by E.L. Houghton, P.W. Carpenter, and S.H. Collicott - This textbook covers all aspects of aerodynamics, including supersonic and transitional flight, in a clear and concise manner.

4. "Aircraft Performance and Design" by John D. Anderson Jr. - This book delves into the design and performance of various types of aircraft, including those used for supersonic flight.

In addition to these textbooks, I would also recommend checking out academic journals and articles on the topics you are interested in. They can provide more in-depth and current information on specific areas of flight engineering.

I hope these recommendations help you on your journey of learning about flight engineering. Happy reading!

Related to What Are the Best Textbooks for Learning About Supersonic Flight Engineering?

1. What is flight engineering?

Flight engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and operation of aircraft. It involves the application of principles from various disciplines such as aerodynamics, materials science, and propulsion systems to create safe and efficient flying machines.

2. What are some common topics covered in books on flight engineering?

Some common topics covered in books on flight engineering include aircraft design, aerodynamics, aircraft structures, propulsion systems, flight control systems, and aviation safety. These books also cover the principles of flight, aircraft performance, and the latest advancements in the field.

3. Can I learn flight engineering from books alone?

While books are a great source of information, learning flight engineering solely from books may not be sufficient. Flight engineering is a highly technical field that requires hands-on experience and practical application of knowledge. It is recommended to supplement book learning with practical training and experience.

4. Are there any recommended books for beginners in flight engineering?

Yes, there are several books that are recommended for beginners in flight engineering. Some popular titles include "Introduction to Flight" by John D. Anderson Jr., "Aerodynamics for Engineers" by John J. Bertin and Russell M. Cummings, and "Aircraft Structures for Engineering Students" by T.H.G. Megson. It is also recommended to consult with a flight engineering instructor or professional for personalized recommendations.

5. Are there any books on flight engineering that focus on specific types of aircraft?

Yes, there are books that specialize in flight engineering for specific types of aircraft such as commercial airliners, military jets, helicopters, and spacecraft. These books cover the unique design, operation, and maintenance considerations for each type of aircraft. It is recommended to consult with a flight engineering instructor or professional to determine which type-specific books are most relevant to your interests and career goals.