What are the accelerations of A on an incline with different scenarios?

In summary, the problem involves two bodies, A weighing 110 N and B weighing 37 N, on an incline with coefficients of friction μs = 0.56 and μk = 0.25 and angle θ = 40°. The goal is to find the acceleration of A in three different scenarios: when A is initially at rest, when A is moving up the incline, and when A is moving down the incline. The equation F=ma is used to solve the problem, but the correct answer is not obtained. The solution includes setting FN = g * a and using FT = mA * g * sin(theta) - fk, but the resulting acceleration of 134 does not make sense.
Matt12345

Homework Statement

Body A weighs 110 N, and body B weighs 37 N. The coefficients of friction between A and the incline are μs = 0.56 and μk = 0.25. Angle θ is 40°. Let the positive direction of an x-axis be up the incline.

06_38.gif

(a). Find the acceleration of A if A is initially at rest.
(... m/s^2) i

(b). Find the acceleration of A if A is moving up the incline.
(...m/s^2) i

(c). Find the acceleration of A if A is moving down the incline.
(...m/s^2) i

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am not really sure how to solve this problem at all. I have tried a few ways, none have come up with reasonable or correct answers.

I tried using...

FT = mA * g * sin(theta) - fk

where fk = mewk * FN
and setting FN = g * a

I then solved for a and came out with 134 but that was wrong and didn't make sense.

I have no idea what to do next. Can anyone help me out? That would be awsome.

Attachments

• 06_38.gif
    06_38.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
So I got part (a). which is 0. I don't know why I didn't try that before. I feel stupid. But parts (b). and (c). I am still not sure about.

Matt12345 said:
So I got part (a). which is 0. I don't know why I didn't try that before. I feel stupid. But parts (b). and (c). I am still not sure about.
This problem makes no sense. Either the block A is at rest, or it moves up the plane, or moves down the plane. It can't do all three!

Related to What are the accelerations of A on an incline with different scenarios?

What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces that prevent them from sliding smoothly over each other.

What are the factors that affect friction?

The two main factors that affect friction are the type of surfaces in contact and the force pressing the surfaces together. Rougher surfaces and higher forces result in higher friction.

How is friction measured?

Friction is typically measured using a device called a friction tester. This device measures the force required to move an object across a surface at a constant speed.

What are the types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, kinetic friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are sliding past each other. Rolling friction occurs when a round object, such as a wheel, rolls over a surface.

What are the practical applications of friction?

Friction has many practical applications, such as allowing us to walk and grip objects, slowing down moving objects (e.g. brakes on a car), and creating heat (e.g. when rubbing your hands together). It also plays a crucial role in many industrial processes, such as manufacturing and transportation.