What are the 26 dimensions in the M theory?

In summary, the 26 dimensions in the M theory are specific to bosonic string theory and are reduced to 10 dimensions when fermions are added through supersymmetry. This leads to multiple theories connected through dualities. The covering theory, M-theory, has 11 dimensions, including an extra dimension. These dimensions are necessary for the strings to vibrate in a way that supports all known particles. The dimensions are not specifically named and are considered internal degrees of freedom.
qsefthuko66
What are all the 26 dimensions in the M theory, named?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 26 dimensions you mention are specific to so-called bosonic string theory. Adding fermions via supersymmetry cuts this number, also called the critical dimension (because the theory seems to be only well-defined in this number of dimensions!) down to 10. However, this gives you several different theories, which turn out to be connected via dualities.

The covering theory is called M-theory, and in this theory an extra dimension opens up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "naming dimensions". I can name them whatever I want: (t,x,y,z,a,b,c,d,e,f,g,...) :)

qsefthuko66 said:

I thought that M-theory had 11 dimensions? A string theorist named Edward Witten figured that out, last I heard.

In string theory, particles are oscillating vibrating 1d lines, as opposed to 0d point particles. The reason they are preferred, is because they eliminate infinity solns, otherwise known as mathematical anamolies. It's also believed they may help in unifying quantum mechanics with general relativity. The 11 dimensions consist of 10 spatial dimensions, and 1 time dimension, so 7 extra inperceptable spatial dimensions.

If I recall correctly, these 7 extra dimensions are necessary to provide "the required space" for the strings to vibrate, if they are to vibrate in such a way as to support all the known particles of the Standard Model. Ed Witten figured out that the other competing string theories (which assumed less than 11 dimensions) were all the result of looking at the 11 dimensions from limited and differing perspective.

I'm not sure what the dimensions are named either.

GrayGhost

qsefthuko66 said:

They are all internal degrees of freedom

qsefthuko66 said:

They aren't named anything.

dimension10 said:
They are all internal degrees of freedom

dimension10 said:
They aren't named anything.
They are dimensions of spacetime, so...not internal. I agree about the naming.

Related to What are the 26 dimensions in the M theory?

1. What is the M theory and how does it relate to the 26 dimensions?

The M theory, also known as the "Theory of Everything", is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all the different branches of physics, including quantum mechanics and general relativity. The theory suggests that the universe exists in 11 dimensions, with the possibility of 26 dimensions in total.

2. How do scientists know about these 26 dimensions?

The concept of 26 dimensions in the M theory is based on mathematical equations and calculations. These dimensions are not observable in our physical world, but rather exist in a theoretical space. Scientists use these dimensions to better understand the laws of physics and the nature of the universe.

3. What is the significance of 26 dimensions in the M theory?

The 26 dimensions in the M theory play a crucial role in explaining the fundamental forces and particles of the universe. They provide a more comprehensive understanding of how the universe works and how all the different branches of physics can be unified under one theory.

4. Can we ever prove the existence of these 26 dimensions?

At this point, the existence of the 26 dimensions in the M theory is purely theoretical and cannot be proven with current technology. However, advancements in scientific research and technology may one day allow us to test and observe these dimensions.

5. Are there any practical applications of the M theory and the 26 dimensions?

While the M theory and the 26 dimensions have not yet been proven, they have already led to significant breakthroughs in understanding the laws of physics and the universe. This knowledge can potentially lead to advancements in technology and space exploration in the future.