What are some tips for traveling to Italy?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary: Italy they'll do it to you whether you speak the language or not! So be prepared for that. Also, be aware that people in Italy are really passionate about their food, especially their coffee. So if you don't like strong coffee, you're going to have a hard time. :)In summary,Heading to Italy tomorrow for a 3-week adventure! Be aware of pickpockets and that dinner time starts at 10pm.

In Palermo do not miss eating a Cassata Siciliana in one of the best places.

Do not know from personal experience but here http://www.dissapore.com/mangiare-f...-trovare-solo-quelle-estremamente-risolutive/ they say these are good

Pasticceria Irrera, Piazza Cairoli, 12 – Messina, "probably today the best pasticciaria siciliana". Pasticceria Scimone, Via Imera, 8 – Palermo. Pasticceria Costa, Via D’Annunzio, 15 – Palermo. La Gubana, Via G. Pitrè, 141 – Palermo.

Physics news on Phys.org

If you look like a tourist, you are treated as such.

Dont wear your money pouch like a fanny pack. When I was there people were very friendly even though we didnt speak any italian. The vatican is a must see. Go in the afternoon, the lines will be shorter and the tour will probably be more personal.

My favorite cities: Firenze (Florence), Siena

Hey guys and gals! Just saying hi from Rome! Anyone know where Da Vinci , Michelangelo, and all the other ninja turtle's stuff is located? I think some if not most is in Florence. But is thereby in Rome? Googling from my phone is not proving much use and is killing my data plan! Thanks!

Saladsamurai said:
Hey guys and gals! Just saying hi from Rome! Anyone know where Da Vinci , Michelangelo, and all the other ninja turtle's stuff is located? I think some if not most is in Florence. But is thereby in Rome? Googling from my phone is not proving much use and is killing my data plan! Thanks!

Having got there all the way from America, damn the expense I say and lash out another 10€ for a city guide book!

However there are supposed to be the ruins of a place where they used to have games that were quite rough and then there is a cute little god-box with stuff inside called St. Peters. If you have a professional guide there ask where is the tomb of King James III of England? They probably don’t know; nor do most English people, not knowing there ever was such a King. Well, he was only pretending.

Do not miss Moses by one, er - I forget his name but his first name was Michelangelo. It is in a fairly obscure, in more ways than one, Church called San Pietro in Vincoli (St. Peter in chains – which you can also see there). It might take to some faith to believe they are the real ones, while Moses is a miracle you can hardly believe even when it is before your eyes, you have to see it to know what a man can do with a block of marble. To be equally amazed at what a woman can do with concrete on the other hand I strongly recommend the extraordinary Maxi gallery. Not to be confused with the Macro which you can take in if you choose also to visit Villa Torlonia, a place made famous by the outstandingly popular and highly acclaimed ‘Where’s that Landmark?’ feature on this very site.

I have mentioned some places slightly off the very beaten tourist track to which the guidebook is a guide. The trouble with extremely famous antiquities is they are old and very well known. But then I always think one profits from giving the 1-star places, like the small towns, their place when touring. Also you will not have enough time even for all the beaten-track ones. A compromise between ancient and modern would be a new antique, the Domus Romana in Palazzo Valentini, seat of the Province of Rome which not everyone has seen as it was not excavated when they came nor will it be in a non-updated guidebook (nor will the Maxi), and which will give you in modern fashion the best idea about how prosperous and powerful ancient Romans lived.

Wherever for museums etc. check beforehand opening or visiting times; this is all much better than it used to be but tomorrow Monday, had always been the worst day. Also check out which places need booking ahead, e.g. the Galleria Borghese and Domus Romana probably do.

For other entertainment check out the programmes at the Auditorium which can claim to be the best in Europe, there is all sorts of music to every taste.

For eating you can hardly go wrong, but ask around for recommendations or use a Michelin or Gambero Rosso guide if u are into that, or just internet see below. I recommend dinner one evening in the Ghetto where the Michelangelos of artichokes are; here don’t worry, I could almost say the crummier a place in the ghetto looks the better it is, there is one great place on a corner of the main piazza you might not even realize is there… but they are all good.

• 10 Restaurants not to be missed in Rome | Tavole Romane Food ...
www.tavoleromane.it/foodtours/en/?p=288
1 Nov 2011 – For higher priced restaurants you can find also ratings from some Italian gastronomic guides: Michelin 2011 between 1 and 3 *, Gambero ...
• An Expert's Opinionated Guide to Italy's Best Restaurants | Food ...
www.foodandwine.com/.../an-experts-opinionated-guide-to-italys-be...
The Gambero Rosso guides arbitrate everything from Italy's top wines to its finest ... today it's Italy's most powerful gastronomic empire and includes cookbooks, ...
• Rome best top restaurants guide, Best Roma Ristorante, reviews ...
www.toprestaurants.com/rome.htm
It also received important awards from the celebrated Italian gastronomic guides “Gambero Rosso” and L'Espresso. Ristorante Mirabelle - Located on the 7th ...
• Rome Cavalieri | La Pergola Restaurant | Rome Dining
www.romecavalieri.com/lapergola.php
In the last decade the major Italian gastronomic guides such as L'Espresso, Gambero Rosso, Bibenda have consistently voted La Pergola the "Best Restaurant ...
• Vivendo Restaurant Rome ¦ Official Website ¦ Chef Francesco ...
www.restaurantvivendo.com/en/aboutus
... Vivendo, 2 forks by Gambero Rosso, 15/20 by the Espresso Guide and Best ... the celebrated Italian gastronomic guides "Gambero Rosso" and L'Espresso. ...

Last edited: