What are some things worth looking at in Biology for a science fair project?

In summary: I’m starting to think about what I want to do for the regional science fair and this year I might do something pertaining to biology, so ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Garret
I’m starting to think about what I want to do for the regional science fair and this year I might do something pertaining to biology, so ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Garret

Biology news on Phys.org
What is your grade level?

I’m currently in grade 11 but I can manage advanced topics.

Regards,
Garret

Is there a particular topic in biology you enjoy more than others? Do you need an experiment, or a demonstration, or either?

can you get your hands on some stem cells?

Stem cell research would be fun :)

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Is there a particular topic in biology you enjoy more than others? Do you need an experiment, or a demonstration, or either?

Okay, maybe I’ve been somewhat vague so far, so let me clear up some issues. The topics I enjoy in biology are biochemistry, microbiology, medicine/health, and possibly environmental technology. What I really dislike is anything dealing with the so called science botany (Note: I really dislike botany… way too many stupid diagrams!) and zoology. There are generally three project types people go with that being an experiment, study, or innovation. Personally, I want to go with maybe a study/experiment. Anyway, I hope that helps.

tribdog said:
can you get your hands on some stem cells?

Can you get me some blood from the placenta and umbilical cord? Oh, also some liquid nitrogen to store them in would be nice too :-p

Garret said:
Okay, maybe I’ve been somewhat vague so far, so let me clear up some issues. The topics I enjoy in biology are biochemistry, microbiology, medicine/health, and possibly environmental technology. What I really dislike is anything dealing with the so called science botany (Note: I really dislike botany… way too many stupid diagrams!) and zoology. There are generally three project types people go with that being an experiment, study, or innovation. Personally, I want to go with maybe a study/experiment. Anyway, I hope that helps.

Do you have access to a microscope? You could do some comparisons of the bacterias and molds found on various surfaces, or even on your hands or some other surfaces before and after washing with various soaps (you could compare those antibacterial hand cleaners...like Purell, as an example, with hand soaps claiming to be antibacterial, and soaps not making that claim). For this, you'd need a source of petri dishes and agar plus a microscope, microscope slides and stains (to help identify different types of bacteria).

Can you get me some blood from the placenta and umbilical cord? Oh, also some liquid nitrogen to store them in would be nice too :-p

Isn't it nice that he comes with a giant, pink warning label now so people don't mistakenly take him too seriously? :biggrin:

Garret said:
Good call. I hated botany, plants suck.

Moonbear, I think you might be aiming too low with your science fair suggestions. Garrett here sounds more advanced.

tribdog said:
Good call. I hated botany, plants suck.
Yeah, I'm not fond of botany either.

Moonbear, I think you might be aiming too low with your science fair suggestions. Garrett here sounds more advanced.

I'm still trying to get a feel for what level Garrett is at. The project I suggested can be built up to something more challenging, or kept very straightforward. The problem with doing a biology project for a science fair is access to supplies. You can't just run down to the corner Radio Shack or hardware store and find everything you need. If he has access to a microscope, identifying bacteria isn't entirely trivial (that's college level microbiology). If he doesn't have access to a microscope, and he has to resort to counting plaques on petri dishes, then it's a bit less exciting. Incubating cultures is going to be difficult too. I thought adding an experimental component of comparing efficacy of different methods of hand-washing might be kind of fun. Though, it may turn him into one of those people paranoid about touching the handle on the bathroom door. For even more fun, he could sneak around the school cafeteria taking samples.

Where's everyone else around here? We could use some more suggestions. Even if it sounds far-fetched, if it seems fun, suggest it. It might trigger other ideas, or be more feasible than you think.

I'd probably do an experiment on the effectiveness of different spermicides. If there aren't a lot of different kinds of spermicides I'd see how things like transmission fluid, Dr. Pepper and Windex work at killing sperm. I'd probably get kicked out of school, but that's the kind of experiment I'd like to try.

you know, I should have been a scientist. I would have either wasted a TON of money or discovered something fantastic that nobody else did because the idea was just too weird. Look a penicillin, That would have been MY sandwich.

Related to What are some things worth looking at in Biology for a science fair project?

1. What are some interesting topics in biology for a science fair project?

Some interesting topics in biology for a science fair project include genetics, ecology, human anatomy and physiology, plant biology, and microbiology.

2. How do I choose a biology project for a science fair?

To choose a biology project for a science fair, start by identifying your interests and strengths in the subject. Then, brainstorm ideas and do some research to narrow down your options. Consider the feasibility and potential impact of each project before making a final decision.

3. What are some tips for conducting a successful biology science fair project?

Some tips for conducting a successful biology science fair project include choosing a well-defined and manageable topic, following the scientific method, keeping detailed records, and seeking guidance from a mentor or teacher.

4. How can I make my biology science fair project stand out?

To make your biology science fair project stand out, consider incorporating creative and visually appealing elements such as diagrams, models, or experiments with live specimens. Additionally, make sure to clearly communicate your project's purpose, methods, and results.

5. What are some potential real-world applications of a biology science fair project?

Some potential real-world applications of a biology science fair project could include developing new medical treatments, improving agricultural practices, or understanding and addressing environmental issues. The possibilities are endless, so be sure to think about the practical implications of your project as you plan and conduct it.