What are some Thermoelectric experiments?

In summary, a student is seeking ideas for an extended experimental investigation in thermoelctrical physics for a year 12 physics class. The teacher has provided some examples, but the student is looking for more advanced topics. The examples include exploring the relationship between thermal and electrical conductivity, the effects of temperature on the dielectric constant of air, factors affecting the effectiveness of an insulator, determining the most effective insulator, and investigating the factors influencing conductivity in a wire. Other examples include studying the effects of color on absorption and emission of electromagnetic radiation, determining the most efficient color of roof tile for keeping a roof cavity cool, examining the factors affecting the efficiency of a solar panel, comparing the efficiency of compact fluorescent light bulbs to incandescent bulbs
DJ-Smiles
Ok. So I am currently doing a term on thermoelctrical physics and was told to perform an extended experimental investigation on this topic. The teacher has given me some examples but none seem to jump out to me. I was wondering in\f anyone has a few topics which are relatively advanced for a year 12 physics class but isn't too advanced.

These are some of the examples that the teacher has given us:

Are thermal and electrical conductivity related?

Does the temperature of a flame affect the dielectric constant of air?

What factors affect the effectiveness of an insulator?

What is the most effective insulator?

What are the factors that affect the conductivity of a wire?

Does colour affect absorption and emission of electromagnetic radiation?

Which colour of roof tile keeps a roof cavity cooler?

What are the factors that affect the efficiency of a solar panel?

Are compact fluorescent light bulbs really more efficient than the old incandescent bulbs?

What expensive is battery power (compared to mains)?

Something similar to these but more advanced would be great,
Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a thermocouple is, If i take 2 different metals and twist them together
and then heat them in a flame, I will get a voltage between them. Could I do this with just one type of metal.

Related to What are some Thermoelectric experiments?

1. What is thermoelectricity and how does it work?

Thermoelectricity is the phenomenon where a temperature difference between two different materials can generate an electric current. This is possible because of the Seebeck effect, which is the conversion of heat into electricity at the junction of two dissimilar materials.

2. What is the purpose of conducting thermoelectric experiments?

The purpose of conducting thermoelectric experiments is to study the properties and behavior of thermoelectric materials, as well as to develop and improve thermoelectric devices for various applications such as power generation, refrigeration, and sensing.

3. What are some common materials used in thermoelectric experiments?

Some common materials used in thermoelectric experiments include bismuth telluride, lead telluride, and silicon germanium. These materials have a high thermoelectric efficiency and are often used to create thermoelectric modules.

4. What are the key parameters that are measured in thermoelectric experiments?

The key parameters that are measured in thermoelectric experiments include the Seebeck coefficient, electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and figure of merit (ZT). These parameters determine the efficiency and performance of thermoelectric materials and devices.

5. How can thermoelectric experiments be used in real-world applications?

Thermoelectric experiments have a wide range of real-world applications. They can be used to generate electricity from waste heat in power plants, automobiles, and industrial processes. They can also be used for cooling and refrigeration in portable coolers, refrigerators, and air conditioners. Additionally, thermoelectric sensors can be used for temperature measurement and control in various industries.